[sip-comm-dev] Jabber conference: bugs fixed, added roles

Hi all,

Since early July, I have been working on multi user chat, in order to fix the remainings bugs.
And time has come to work on Jabber multi user chat.

1° I've fixed two bugs, the first makes the conference GUI loading correctly, whereas the second one makes create a correct room name.

2° And now, I'm integrating the roles for participants (moderator, admin, guest, ...).
      You can see attached what it looks like, using a Spark client and a Gadjim client: everything worked great (except small UI bugs).

Current functionalities: set subject, change nickname, kick, ban, grant moderator/admin/ownership/voice, revoke admin/moderator/ownership/voice

So, I'm not writing this mail to relate my life :), but to ask for your helpful advices and suggestions, about the look and feel of the conference UI.

- You can see in the attached screenshots that Spark an Gadjim are both displaying the room subject, whereas SIP Communicator doesn't:
   so where do you think room's subject should be set in this UI?

- I've made some icons for participants status, using some existing icons: I'm not sure they match with what should be excepted, and regarding to
   the way Gadjim and Spark are displaying roles, what way should be adopted to you mind?

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Regards,
Valentin.

NB: I've attached source images (.svg) too. Don't hesitate to use them for creating others icons for the UI and send them on this list.

Hi Valentin,

First of all, just wanted to reassure you, that I didn't forget your patches. I had some pending tasks to finish and I'm now returning back to the integration of the fixes you sent.

More below:

Hi all,

Since early July, I have been working on multi user chat, in order to fix the remainings bugs.
And time has come to work on Jabber multi user chat.

1° I've fixed two bugs, the first makes the conference GUI loading correctly, whereas the second one makes create a correct room name.

2° And now, I'm integrating the roles for participants (moderator, admin, guest, ...).
    You can see attached what it looks like, using a Spark client and a Gadjim client: everything worked great (except small UI bugs).

Current functionalities: set subject, change nickname, kick, ban, grant moderator/admin/ownership/voice, revoke admin/moderator/ownership/voice

Sounds very good and the screenshots are very promising!

So, I'm not writing this mail to relate my life :), but to ask for your helpful advices and suggestions, about the look and feel of the conference UI.

- You can see in the attached screenshots that Spark an Gadjim are both displaying the room subject, whereas SIP Communicator doesn't:
so where do you think room's subject should be set in this UI?

In my opinion we could just show it in the title bar of the chat window and in the tab if we have multiple tabs, as we show the contact name for single chats. What do you think? Actually I thought that it's already the case, but apparently not:)

- I've made some icons for participants status, using some existing icons: I'm not sure they match with what should be excepted, and regarding to
the way Gadjim and Spark are displaying roles, what way should be adopted to you mind?

I think you've done a really good job with the icons! I'm just wondering if we could make them a little smaller in the members list. For example the same size as the ones in the right menu. WDYT?

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Aug 19, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Valentin MARTINET wrote:

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

Regards,
Valentin.

NB: I've attached source images (.svg) too. Don't hesitate to use them for creating others icons for the UI and send them on this list.

<jabber-conf.png><member.png><owner-admin.png><silent-member.png>
<guest.svg><member.svg><owner.svg>---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion we could just show it in the title bar of the chat window and in the tab if we have multiple tabs, as we show the contact name for single chats. What do you think? Actually I thought that it's already the case, but apparently not:)

Good idea, but it means that room's name won't be displayed in the UI anymore?

I think you've done a really good job with the icons! I'm just wondering if we could make them a little smaller in the members list. For example the same size as the ones in the right menu. WDYT?

Yes, I agree, it will be less overloaded. (at start, I've set a 32x32 pixels size :-s)

I'm thinking about participants avatar: does the UI is supposed to display them?

Thanks for comments!

Regards,
Valentin

···

Le 19 août 09 à 14:05, Yana Stamcheva a écrit :

Hi Valentin,

Good idea, but it means that room's name won't be displayed in the UI anymore?

For some reason I've misread your question and was thinking about the room name and not the subject. Everything is clear now:) I've just checked and an implementation of the subject panel already exist in the gui, but is currently not used (have a look at ChatPanel line: 247). You could try to show this panel only when the chat subject is present.

Yes, I agree, it will be less overloaded. (at start, I've set a 32x32 pixels size :-s)

I'm thinking about participants avatar: does the UI is supposed to display them?

Yes, if doesn't. You could have a look at ChatContactCellRenderer (line: 60) and see if the problem is in the gui or in the protocol part.

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Aug 19, 2009, at 4:00 PM, Valentin MARTINET wrote:

Le 19 août 09 à 14:05, Yana Stamcheva a écrit :

Thanks for comments!

Regards,
Valentin

Hi Yana, all,

You could try to show this panel only when the chat subject is present.

Ok, the panel is activated. But the fact is that it contains the ChatRoomConfigurationWindow button, so maybe should this panel be displayed
for each conference?

I just worked a little bit on this panel background color: I've set it transparent when the conference window chat tabs number is 0, and I've set a gradient color
when this number is not 0. I've tried to do it in order to it looks like to the chat tab background (see attached).
Can you tell me what do you thnik of it please? Because I'm not very proud of it and you may have better ideas :slight_smile:

I've changed the role icons from 24x24 to 16x16 too.

I've set the property *setOpaque(false)* to some panels in the ChatRoomConfigurationWindow (see attached), so it looks like more to SIP Comm frames.

I've tested the options from the ChatRoomConfigurationWindow, and almost everything worked fine (except room's subject, I'm still working on it).
=> room password, room public searchable, default users as participants, allows users to change room's subject, allows users to invite, etc.

Yes, if doesn't. You could have a look at ChatContactCellRenderer (line: 60) and see if the problem is in the gui or in the protocol part.

The problem may be in the protocol part, because the avatar can't be retrieved by using a *Contact*. I'm still working on it too.
I will try with the OperationSetPersistentPresence.

Regards,
Valentin

···

Le 19 août 09 à 15:14, Yana Stamcheva a écrit :

Hi Valentin,
Just for information you can retrieve the avatar through the
OperationSetServerStoredAccountInfo

Bye

···

2009/8/20 Valentin MARTINET <mofx71@gmail.com>

Hi Yana, all,

Le 19 août 09 à 15:14, Yana Stamcheva a écrit :

You could try to show this panel only when the chat subject is present.

Ok, the panel is activated. But the fact is that it contains the
ChatRoomConfigurationWindow button, so maybe should this panel be displayed
for each conference?

I just worked a little bit on this panel background color: I've set it
transparent when the conference window chat tabs number is 0, and I've set a
gradient color
when this number is not 0. I've tried to do it in order to it looks like to
the chat tab background (see attached).
Can you tell me what do you thnik of it please? Because I'm not very proud
of it and you may have better ideas :slight_smile:

I've changed the role icons from 24x24 to 16x16 too.

I've set the property *setOpaque(false)* to some panels in the
ChatRoomConfigurationWindow (see attached), so it looks like more to SIP
Comm frames.

I've tested the options from the ChatRoomConfigurationWindow, and almost
everything worked fine (except room's subject, I'm still working on it).
=> room password, room public searchable, default users as participants,
allows users to change room's subject, allows users to invite, etc.

I'm thinking about participants avatar: does the UI is supposed to display

them?

Yes, if doesn't. You could have a look at ChatContactCellRenderer (line:
60) and see if the problem is in the gui or in the protocol part.

The problem may be in the protocol part, because the avatar can't be
retrieved by using a *Contact*. I'm still working on it too.
I will try with the OperationSetPersistentPresence.

Regards,
Valentin