[sip-comm-dev] Installation problem

Hi,

Pardon the simple question but I get this error (many times) while running under Vista. I was guessing that the fileName might be illegal but I can create it ok. Did I mess something up on my install? Should the version number be 0 and -1?

[java] java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\fair\.sip-communicator\sip-communicator.bin\bundle99\version0.-1\revision.location (The system cannot find the path specified)
     [java] at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
     [java] at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
     [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.getFileInputStream(SecureAction.java:338)
     [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.getRevisionLocation(BundleArchive.java:775)
     [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.<init>(BundleArchive.java:201)
     [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.initialize(BundleCache.java:371)
     [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.<init>(BundleCache.java:95)
     [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.<init>(Felix.java:240)
     [java] at org.apache.felix.main.Main.main(Main.java:194)
     [java] at net.java.sip.communicator.launcher.SIPCommunicator.main(SIPCommunicator.java:71)

thanks Kim.

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Well, I don't know what could be wrong, but yes it should not be -1...that would be an odd revision number. :slight_smile:

-> richard

Kim Michael Fairchild wrote:

···

Hi,

Pardon the simple question but I get this error (many times) while running under Vista. I was guessing that the fileName might be illegal but I can create it ok. Did I mess something up on my install? Should the version number be 0 and -1?

[java] java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\fair\.sip-communicator\sip-communicator.bin\bundle99\version0.-1\revision.location (The system cannot find the path specified)
    [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.getFileInputStream(SecureAction.java:338)

[java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.getRevisionLocation(BundleArchive.java:775)

[java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.<init>(BundleArchive.java:201)

[java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.initialize(BundleCache.java:371)

[java] at org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.<init>(BundleCache.java:95)
    [java] at net.java.sip.communicator.launcher.SIPCommunicator.main(SIPCommunicator.java:71)

thanks Kim.

Ok, as a quirk of fate may have it. I just ran into a similar looking bug while working on a new feature in Felix. I updated a bundle and the update caused an error. After the bundle update failure, if I shutdown the framework it deleted the previous revision of my bundle because it still thought that the update succeeded. What then happened was then when I started the framework the next time, I ended up getting a file not found exception where it was looking for a bundle with a revision number with "-1" in it.

What was happening was that the rollback for a failed bundle update was not properly rolling back one field that was keeping track of the updated bundle revisions. This then caused the framework to think that it needed to purge the revisions of the unsuccessfully updated bundle, even though it should not have.

I am not sure if this was the cause of your issue, but it certainly could have been. Luckily, I was able to find this bug at a time when you were asking about it. This bug has existed for about a year, but it only occurs if you shutdown directly after a failed bundle update. I have committed a one-line fix to trunk to resolve this in future versions of Felix.

So, if you recall if you were unsuccessfully updating bundles when this happened, then it might be related.

This might mean that SIP Communicator should migrate to the next release of Felix, but depending on which release they currently use, this fix would be very easy to backport.

-> richard

···

Hi,

thanks Kim.

I've had that issue in Windows XP. So it's not solely a Vista problem.

Is this possibly because when you build from the source code, the version 'number' is build.by.SVN instead of an actual number, and so it is unable to parse the version as a number and returns a -1?

There is also a similar problem when SC attempts to check for updates.

Alan Kelly

···

----- Original Message -----

Date: Friday, July 25, 2008 8:51 am
Subject: Re: [sip-comm-dev] Installation problem

Well, I don't know what could be wrong, but yes it should not be
-1...that would be an odd revision number. :slight_smile:

-> richard

> Hi,
>
> Pardon the simple question but I get this error (many times)
while
> running under Vista. I was guessing that the fileName might be
illegal
> but I can create it ok. Did I mess something up on my install?
Should
> the version number be 0 and -1?
>
> [java] java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> C:\Users\fair\.sip-communicator\sip-
communicator.bin\bundle99\version0.-1\revision.location
> (The system cannot find the path specified)
> [java] at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
> [java] at
> java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
> [java] at
>
org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.getFileInputStream(SecureAction.java:338)
>
> [java] at
>
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.getRevisionLocation(BundleArchive.java:775)
>
> [java] at
>
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.<init>(BundleArchive.java:201)
>
> [java] at
>
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.initialize(BundleCache.java:371)
>
> [java] at
>
org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.<init>(BundleCache.java:95)> [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.<init>(Felix.java:240)
> [java] at org.apache.felix.main.Main.main(Main.java:194)
> [java] at
>
net.java.sip.communicator.launcher.SIPCommunicator.main(SIPCommunicator.java:71)
>
>
> thanks Kim.
>
>
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
----
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-
communicator.dev.java.net> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-
help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
>

-------------------------------------------------------------------
--
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-
communicator.dev.java.net

Just double-checking my SIP Communicator, it looks like it is Felix 1.0.1...so the fix would need to be backported.

I can't stress enough that it would make a lot of sense to move SIP Communicator to Felix 1.0.4 because there have been a lot improvements since 1.0.1.

I would be glad to help resolve any issues during such a move.

-> richard

Richard S. Hall wrote:

···

Ok, as a quirk of fate may have it. I just ran into a similar looking bug while working on a new feature in Felix. I updated a bundle and the update caused an error. After the bundle update failure, if I shutdown the framework it deleted the previous revision of my bundle because it still thought that the update succeeded. What then happened was then when I started the framework the next time, I ended up getting a file not found exception where it was looking for a bundle with a revision number with "-1" in it.

What was happening was that the rollback for a failed bundle update was not properly rolling back one field that was keeping track of the updated bundle revisions. This then caused the framework to think that it needed to purge the revisions of the unsuccessfully updated bundle, even though it should not have.

I am not sure if this was the cause of your issue, but it certainly could have been. Luckily, I was able to find this bug at a time when you were asking about it. This bug has existed for about a year, but it only occurs if you shutdown directly after a failed bundle update. I have committed a one-line fix to trunk to resolve this in future versions of Felix.

So, if you recall if you were unsuccessfully updating bundles when this happened, then it might be related.

This might mean that SIP Communicator should migrate to the next release of Felix, but depending on which release they currently use, this fix would be very easy to backport.

-> richard

Hi,

thanks Kim.

Hi,

Sure sounds like my error. It has been doing it for awhile. Is there some file directory manipulation fix or can I force Felix to reset everything?

thanks, Kim

Richard S. Hall wrote:

···

-> richard

Hi,

thanks Kim.

Alan C Kelly wrote:

I've had that issue in Windows XP. So it's not solely a Vista problem.

Is this possibly because when you build from the source code, the version 'number' is build.by.SVN instead of an actual number, and so it is unable to parse the version as a number and returns a -1?

I don't think this could be it, because that version number is generated by Felix inside of its bundle cache and is really not related to anything other than how many times the associated bundle has been updated and/or refreshed. Somehow, Felix has gotten confused about its internal cache versioning.

Perhaps the original user could attach a directory tree listing of the sip-communicator.bin directory from below...

-> richard

···

There is also a similar problem when SC attempts to check for updates.

Alan Kelly

----- Original Message -----
Date: Friday, July 25, 2008 8:51 am
Subject: Re: [sip-comm-dev] Installation problem

Well, I don't know what could be wrong, but yes it should not be -1...that would be an odd revision number. :slight_smile:

-> richard

Hi,

Pardon the simple question but I get this error (many times)

while

running under Vista. I was guessing that the fileName might be

illegal

but I can create it ok. Did I mess something up on my install?

Should

the version number be 0 and -1?

[java] java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\fair\.sip-communicator\sip-

communicator.bin\bundle99\version0.-1\revision.location

(The system cannot find the path specified)
    [java] at

org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction.getFileInputStream(SecureAction.java:338)

[java] at

org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.getRevisionLocation(BundleArchive.java:775)

[java] at

org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleArchive.<init>(BundleArchive.java:201)

[java] at

org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.initialize(BundleCache.java:371)

[java] at

org.apache.felix.framework.cache.BundleCache.<init>(BundleCache.java:95)> [java] at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.<init>(Felix.java:240)

[java] at

net.java.sip.communicator.launcher.SIPCommunicator.main(SIPCommunicator.java:71)

thanks Kim.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

----

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-

communicator.dev.java.net> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-
help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
--
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-
communicator.dev.java.net

Hi,

Sure sounds like my error. It has been doing it for awhile. Is there some file directory manipulation fix or can I force Felix to reset everything?

Not really. If you know which bundle was in bundle99 directory, you could recreate it, by creating a new "version0.0" directory and copying the bundle JAR file in there and naming it bundle.jar and also creating a revision.location file in there with the location of the bundle, i.e.:

.sip-communicator.bin/
       bundle99/
          revision0.0/
             bundle.jar
             revision.location

You can see how the bundle directory should look by looking at another one in your cache. Most of the files are text so you can just "more" them to see what is inside.

If the bundle gets auto-installed by SIP-Comm, you could just try to delete the bundle99 directory completely.

Otherwise, the only way to reset it, is to start over.

-> richard

···

thanks, Kim

Richard S. Hall wrote:

-> richard

Hi,

thanks Kim.