[sip-comm-dev] Hello!

Hi Folks,

I am the culprit behind your ever problematic SIP Stack.

I am new here but I am very much impressed by your progress. You guys really do kick gluteus maximus.

In any case, I'm thinking of a devious scheme that allows you to store meta-contact lists on google base. This way, when you re-install or move around, you get your meta contacts from google base - no problemo. No need to copy around files. Problem is of course that its searchable and I dont think people would want to publish their contacts that way ( would they?). So we need a master password to log into the client itself. Since you need gmail to use the google web api anyway, the master password can be your gmail passowrd. This way we can encrypt private data (contact lists) using your gmail password and store the same on google base.

Comments?
Ranga

···

--
M. Ranganathan

Advanced Networking Technologies Division,
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST),
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 8920, Gaithersburg, MD 20899. tel:301 975 3664 , fax:301 590 0932 http://w3.antd.nist.gov/
Advanced Networking Technologies For the People!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hey Ranga!

M. Ranganathan wrote:

In any case, I'm thinking of a devious scheme that allows you to store meta-contact lists on google base. This way, when you re-install or move around, you get your meta contacts from google base - no problemo. No need to copy around files.

Great idea! This could be quite handy especially in the case of our meta contact list. Right now I re-merge all my contacts every time I move to a new machine and it is becoming quite a pain. Downloading the list from an online source such as google base would be quite handy.

Contact list storage is handled inside the MetaContactListService. The class that does this is the MclStorageManager. Right now it would write all the meta contact list inside a ~/.sip-communicator/contactlist.xml file.

Initially I would have said that a plugin that wanted to store contacts on google would have needed to provide an alternate MetaContactListService implementation but that doesn't seem very rational since there is a lot more inside it (the MCL service) than merely writing the xml. So now I think that it would be a better idea to split the MCL service and bring the storage manager out as a separate service so that it could be replaced by a plugin providing an alternate way of storage (such as the one you are proposing). I don't think that bringing the storage manager out would be a difficult hack.

Problem is of course that its searchable and I dont think people would want to publish their contacts that way ( would they?). So we need a master password to log into the client itself. Since you need gmail to use the google web api anyway, the master password can be your gmail passowrd. This way we can encrypt private data (contact lists) using your gmail password and store the same on google base.

OK sounds reasonable. You could use the the UI service to popup a dialog and ask the user for their gmail password and then you use it for encryption. I don't know however whether the UI service allow this right now. We have discussed with Yana the possibility of allowing plugins to show dialogs (the same way JOptionPane does) but I don't know whether this has been implemented already. Yana have you had the time to work on this or do you have plans to do so in the near future?

Cheers
Emil

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net