[sip-comm-dev] gui integration of the icq protocol

Hi Emil,

I have started the integration of the icq protocol in the gui and some
questions appeared.

1) When should I read the supported operation sets? Currently I do it when
the protocol provider becomes in state REGISTERED, is this the right way?

2) The OFFLINE status is contained in the supported status set but it should
not be published like the others, right? When I try to publish it I obtain a
NullPointerException, because it's not int scToIcqStatusMappings.

3) I was testing the icq login by typing a wrong password and I obtained a
Connection failed, instead of Authentication failed. Is this the expected
behaviour?

4) When I show the status menu I use JMenuItem, with text and icon. I use
getSupportedStatusSet to obtain the protocol status set, which returns
PresenceStatus-es with name and no icon. Is it the protocol provider
supposed to provide the icons?

5) Another question on the status set. How willl the internationalization of
the statuses be implemented?

Regards,
Yana

Hello Yana,

Yana Stamcheva wrote:

Hi Emil,

I have started the integration of the icq protocol in the gui and some questions appeared.

1) When should I read the supported operation sets? Currently I do it when the protocol provider becomes in state REGISTERED, is this the right way?

Good question. Need to dicuss that a bit more. Right now things are quite straightforward. The operation sets are all there and available from the beginning but in some cases, like the PresenceOperationSet, if you call certain methods before you are actually registered on icq, then you'll get an exception. That's however unoffitial right now, and it's not documented. We need to agree on a strategy here.

2) The OFFLINE status is contained in the supported status set but it should not be published like the others, right? When I try to publish it I obtain a NullPointerException, because it's not int scToIcqStatusMappings.

That I believe is a bug and I'll try to resolve it later today. ...First I thought that one should not be able to go offline by publishing an offline status and only do so by making the provider unregister from the AOL server (or whatever server is being used in the particular protocol provider implementation). On second thought however, it will surely be more intuitive to just make the provider unregister from inside the service. What do you think? Others?

3) I was testing the icq login by typing a wrong password and I obtained a Connection failed, instead of Authentication failed. Is this the expected behaviour?

Certainly not. I'd need to look into this. Please, if you don't see it resolved till the end of the day, could you then create an issue on java.net?

4) When I show the status menu I use JMenuItem, with text and icon. I use getSupportedStatusSet to obtain the protocol status set, which returns PresenceStatus-es with name and no icon. Is it the protocol provider supposed to provide the icons?

Good question again. I don't really know. That's how I imagined it would be in the beginning but then thought that it's not a provider's job to deal with visual stuff. OTOH some protocols may actually provide icons for their states (i.e. icons stored on a server ... anyone heard of such a thing? ) so it may be better to add a method to each status and make it return an icon. But then again .... this would make it impossible to customize the sip-communicator with custom icon themes which may be a cool feature for users. Ideas anyone?

5) Another question on the status set. How willl the internationalization of the statuses be implemented?

Hm. Good point. What would you suggest? Others?

Cheers
Emil

ยทยทยท

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net