[sip-comm-dev] GSoC Student introduction


#1

Hello everybody,

My name is Emanuel Onica. I am a 1st year master student in Distributed Systems at the Faculty of Computer Science from "Al. I. Cuza" University, Iasi, Romania, where I'm planning to take my final thesis for the next year on SIP security related topics, which gets pretty close to my project on SIP Communicator: "Implementation of encryption key sharing algorithms". This year is my first participation to GSoC, and I'm mentored by Romain Kuntz.

Probably I'm not such experienced in Java as many of my fellow GSoC-ers are (I might say that my main background is in C/C++, anyway I've coded also in Java a lot during faculty), but having some background in media communication related projects and being very interested in security related techniques, I'm confident that I'll do my best to succeed in getting the project done. ( However I might, and won't hesitate, to "cry" on these lists for Java help, if I encounter any complicated problems :slight_smile: )

I've subscribed to the dev mailing list and I've done a basic setup for a blog where I'll post my activity at http://sipcommkeysharing.blogspot.com/ . My java.net account is eonica .

In the end I'd like to thank once more the SIP Communicator team for offering me this opportunity !

Cheers,
Emanuel

PS1: It's the 3rd time I'm sending this mail, but I think (I hope I'm correct now about the issue..) there were some problems about how my email address is resolved. I hope I'm not "spamming" the list with a 3rd mail (I can't see anyway my previous two on the web-archive) and I'm sorry for the late introduction if this is the first that arrives

PS2: In case this time all is ok, one more info - my provided address eonica@infoiasi.ro is resolved to eonica@info.uaic.ro, so probably it's much more sure to use directly the last one

···

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is full of unexpected but nothing happens without a reason..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#2

Hi Emanuel!

One again, congratulations and welcome in the SIP Communicator community!
I'll give you more details about the next steps by replying to your mail about the timeline.

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2008/04/23, at 14:09, Onica S. Emanuel wrote:

Hello everybody,

My name is Emanuel Onica. I am a 1st year master student in Distributed Systems at the Faculty of Computer Science from "Al. I. Cuza" University, Iasi, Romania, where I'm planning to take my final thesis for the next year on SIP security related topics, which gets pretty close to my project on SIP Communicator: "Implementation of encryption key sharing algorithms". This year is my first participation to GSoC, and I'm mentored by Romain Kuntz.

Probably I'm not such experienced in Java as many of my fellow GSoC-ers are (I might say that my main background is in C/C++, anyway I've coded also in Java a lot during faculty), but having some background in media communication related projects and being very interested in security related techniques, I'm confident that I'll do my best to succeed in getting the project done. ( However I might, and won't hesitate, to "cry" on these lists for Java help, if I encounter any complicated problems :slight_smile: )

I've subscribed to the dev mailing list and I've done a basic setup for a blog where I'll post my activity at http://sipcommkeysharing.blogspot.com/ . My java.net account is eonica .

In the end I'd like to thank once more the SIP Communicator team for offering me this opportunity !

Cheers,
Emanuel

PS1: It's the 3rd time I'm sending this mail, but I think (I hope I'm correct now about the issue..) there were some problems about how my email address is resolved. I hope I'm not "spamming" the list with a 3rd mail (I can't see anyway my previous two on the web-archive) and I'm sorry for the late introduction if this is the first that arrives

PS2: In case this time all is ok, one more info - my provided address eonica@infoiasi.ro is resolved to eonica@info.uaic.ro, so probably it's much more sure to use directly the last one

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is full of unexpected but nothing happens without a reason..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#3

Thank you for your reply Romain! I hope all my other mails got to you. It seems indeed that the problem was with the domain of the mail address which is resolved to another one. I've re-registered now with the one @info.uaic.ro and all seems to be ok (I've received all the mails on the lists until now, but mine I think were dropped)

I've also tried to re-register on the gsoc-students mailing list but I didn't get yet an Aknowledgement mail (as I've got on the dev list). I think it might be because the list isn't public (if I'm correct). So, I'm asking for someone in the SIP Communicator team to add me to gsoc-students list with the address:

eonica@info.uaic.ro

if my re-registration did not succeed already (I'm not sending another mail now to check because I really don't want to "spam" that list too :slight_smile: ).

Sorry for all this, is my fault for not providing the resolved mail address in the first place..

Regards,
Emanuel

···

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Emanuel!

One again, congratulations and welcome in the SIP Communicator community!
I'll give you more details about the next steps by replying to your mail about the timeline.

Cheers,
romain

On 2008/04/23, at 14:09, Onica S. Emanuel wrote:

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is full of unexpected but nothing happens without a reason..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#4

Hello Romain & Onica

Congratulation to Onica at first.

I want to contribute to this project as open source development
project.Can i know the roadmap of what is to be done in the next .I
mean are u planning to implement zrtp .How about the measures about
interoperability issue. Can I know the issues we have to consider in
the implementation level .And what the java open source libraries we
have to look upon.

If my interest to be involved is not against gsoc privacy,i would like
to contribute from the initial phase .SIP key sharing management -is a
matter of interest to me..That intension has driven me towards it .

Again Congratulation to Onica

Cheers

Rossi

···

On 4/23/08, Onica S. Emanuel <eonica@info.uaic.ro> wrote:

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Thank you for your reply Romain! I hope all my other mails got to you. It
seems indeed that the problem was with the domain of the mail address which
is resolved to another one. I've re-registered now with the one
@info.uaic.ro and all seems to be ok (I've received all the mails on the
lists until now, but mine I think were dropped)

I've also tried to re-register on the gsoc-students mailing list but I
didn't get yet an Aknowledgement mail (as I've got on the dev list). I think
it might be because the list isn't public (if I'm correct). So, I'm asking
for someone in the SIP Communicator team to add me to gsoc-students list
with the address:

eonica@info.uaic.ro

if my re-registration did not succeed already (I'm not sending another mail
now to check because I really don't want to "spam" that list too :slight_smile: ).

Sorry for all this, is my fault for not providing the resolved mail address
in the first place..

Regards,
Emanuel

> Hi Emanuel!
>
> One again, congratulations and welcome in the SIP Communicator community!
> I'll give you more details about the next steps by replying to your mail
about the timeline.
>
> Cheers,
> romain
>
> On 2008/04/23, at 14:09, Onica S. Emanuel wrote:
>
>

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is full of unexpected but nothing happens without a reason..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail:
dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#5

Hello,

Hello Romain & Onica

Congratulation to Onica at first.

Thank you !

I want to contribute to this project as open source development
project.Can i know the roadmap of what is to be done in the next .I
mean are u planning to implement zrtp .How about the measures about
interoperability issue. Can I know the issues we have to consider in
the implementation level .And what the java open source libraries we
have to look upon.

Yes, ZRTP will be probably the chosen solution. Personally, I've established a roadmap for my activity. For now, I'm in the analysis phase which will last for the month of May too (hope will get it done until June when my semester ends and I'll be able to fully focus on the SC project). More exactly I'm between reading the SIP Communicator DeveloperDocumentation page sections to get to know better the SC architecture and starting to read the standards related documents (SRTP RFC and ZRTP draft mainly). At this point I'm focused on getting the project done for SC-SC communication but regarding the interop issues I think there are two directions to be considered:

- communication with other VoIP clients between SIP based sessions: ZRTP due to the opportunistic encryption it provides should activate and de-activate silently according of how it is supported at the other end
- communication with other VoIP session types (for instance IAX which if I'm correct is intended to be supported in the future): ZRTP acts at the RTP media flow level only and is not related to the signaling level so it should be compatible with "inter-session" key sharing

It's too early to provide a more in-depth analysis now. The brief one above is made according to some ZRTP overviews I've read. For this, and also for the implementation level issues generated I'll have a detailed overview at the end of the analysis phase. Anyway, regarding the implementation issues, my main idea is to extend the packages developed last year for SRTP support because due to the fact these do not bind tightly with any signaling level related code (as far as I've looked into them...) do provide quite a good option for keeping the eventual ZRTP implementation at the media transport level. For the java suppport libraries, bouncycastle is the one taken into consideration for the cryptographic support it provides. Exactly which support will be needed, also at the end of the analysis phase = after I read the ZRTP draft I'll be able to tell. (Probably DH related mostly, because as far as I know at this point, ZRTP operation is based on DH)

If my interest to be involved is not against gsoc privacy,i would like
to contribute from the initial phase .SIP key sharing management -is a
matter of interest to me..That intension has driven me towards it .

Sorry, I'm not in position to give you an answer to this matter. As far as I know GSoC states something like 1 student / project. So, as far as I'm concerned, I don't know how ethically would this be regarding the other students involved in the GSoC program...

Regards,
Emanuel

···

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, rossi kamal wrote:

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is full of unexpected but nothing happens without a reason..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#6

Thanks Emanuel

I am waiting to contribute as a sip-communicator open source
developer.Not that as GSOC student.Because you deserve to be there.Ok
in time as a sip-communicator development group member, I might watch
the mailing lists & would be able to see all things going on

Congrats again

Rossi

···

On 4/27/08, Onica S. Emanuel <eonica@info.uaic.ro> wrote:

Hello,

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, rossi kamal wrote:

> Hello Romain & Onica
>
> Congratulation to Onica at first.
>
>

Thank you !

> I want to contribute to this project as open source development
> project.Can i know the roadmap of what is to be done in the next .I
> mean are u planning to implement zrtp .How about the measures about
> interoperability issue. Can I know the issues we have to consider in
> the implementation level .And what the java open source libraries we
> have to look upon.
>

Yes, ZRTP will be probably the chosen solution. Personally, I've established
a roadmap for my activity. For now, I'm in the analysis phase which will
last for the month of May too (hope will get it done until June when my
semester ends and I'll be able to fully focus on the SC project). More
exactly I'm between reading the SIP Communicator DeveloperDocumentation
page sections to get to know better the SC architecture and starting to read
the standards related documents (SRTP RFC and ZRTP draft mainly). At this
point I'm focused on getting the project done for SC-SC communication but
regarding the interop issues I think there are two directions to be
considered:

- communication with other VoIP clients between SIP based sessions: ZRTP due
to the opportunistic encryption it provides should activate and de-activate
silently according of how it is supported at the other end
- communication with other VoIP session types (for instance IAX which if I'm
correct is intended to be supported in the future): ZRTP acts at the RTP
media flow level only and is not related to the signaling level so it should
be compatible with "inter-session" key sharing

It's too early to provide a more in-depth analysis now. The brief one above
is made according to some ZRTP overviews I've read. For this, and also for
the implementation level issues generated I'll have a detailed overview at
the end of the analysis phase. Anyway, regarding the implementation issues,
my main idea is to extend the packages developed last year for SRTP support
because due to the fact these do not bind tightly with any signaling level
related code (as far as I've looked into them...) do provide quite a good
option for keeping the eventual ZRTP implementation at the media transport
level. For the java suppport libraries, bouncycastle is the one taken into
consideration for the cryptographic support it provides. Exactly which
support will be needed, also at the end of the analysis phase = after I read
the ZRTP draft I'll be able to tell. (Probably DH related mostly, because as
far as I know at this point, ZRTP operation is based on DH)

> If my interest to be involved is not against gsoc privacy,i would like
> to contribute from the initial phase .SIP key sharing management -is a
> matter of interest to me..That intension has driven me towards it .
>

Sorry, I'm not in position to give you an answer to this matter. As far as I
know GSoC states something like 1 student / project. So, as far as I'm
concerned, I don't know how ethically would this be regarding the other
students involved in the GSoC program...

Regards,
Emanuel

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is full of unexpected but nothing happens without a reason..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail:
dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#7

Hi Rossi,

I am waiting to contribute as a sip-communicator open source
developer.Not that as GSOC student.Because you deserve to be there.Ok
in time as a sip-communicator development group member, I might watch
the mailing lists & would be able to see all things going on

Though the GSoC project itself is supposed to be managed by the elected student, there is still room to contribute. Discussions on the mailing list about the design, testing the code that Emanuel will provide, send bug reports or even patches against that code are some of the possibilities to contribute to SIP Communicator, and contributions are always welcome :slight_smile:

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2008/04/27, at 13:37, rossi kamal wrote:

On 4/27/08, Onica S. Emanuel <eonica@info.uaic.ro> wrote:

Hello,

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, rossi kamal wrote:

Hello Romain & Onica

Congratulation to Onica at first.

Thank you !

I want to contribute to this project as open source development
project.Can i know the roadmap of what is to be done in the next .I
mean are u planning to implement zrtp .How about the measures about
interoperability issue. Can I know the issues we have to consider in
the implementation level .And what the java open source libraries we
have to look upon.

Yes, ZRTP will be probably the chosen solution. Personally, I've established
a roadmap for my activity. For now, I'm in the analysis phase which will
last for the month of May too (hope will get it done until June when my
semester ends and I'll be able to fully focus on the SC project). More
exactly I'm between reading the SIP Communicator DeveloperDocumentation
page sections to get to know better the SC architecture and starting to read
the standards related documents (SRTP RFC and ZRTP draft mainly). At this
point I'm focused on getting the project done for SC-SC communication but
regarding the interop issues I think there are two directions to be
considered:

- communication with other VoIP clients between SIP based sessions: ZRTP due
to the opportunistic encryption it provides should activate and de-activate
silently according of how it is supported at the other end
- communication with other VoIP session types (for instance IAX which if I'm
correct is intended to be supported in the future): ZRTP acts at the RTP
media flow level only and is not related to the signaling level so it should
be compatible with "inter-session" key sharing

It's too early to provide a more in-depth analysis now. The brief one above
is made according to some ZRTP overviews I've read. For this, and also for
the implementation level issues generated I'll have a detailed overview at
the end of the analysis phase. Anyway, regarding the implementation issues,
my main idea is to extend the packages developed last year for SRTP support
because due to the fact these do not bind tightly with any signaling level
related code (as far as I've looked into them...) do provide quite a good
option for keeping the eventual ZRTP implementation at the media transport
level. For the java suppport libraries, bouncycastle is the one taken into
consideration for the cryptographic support it provides. Exactly which
support will be needed, also at the end of the analysis phase = after I read
the ZRTP draft I'll be able to tell. (Probably DH related mostly, because as
far as I know at this point, ZRTP operation is based on DH)

If my interest to be involved is not against gsoc privacy,i would like
to contribute from the initial phase .SIP key sharing management -is a
matter of interest to me..That intension has driven me towards it .

Sorry, I'm not in position to give you an answer to this matter. As far as I
know GSoC states something like 1 student / project. So, as far as I'm
concerned, I don't know how ethically would this be regarding the other
students involved in the GSoC program...

Regards,
Emanuel

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

"Life is full of unexpected but nothing happens without a reason..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail:
dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net