[sip-comm-dev] Growl support for MacOSX package

Hi Emil,

As you know I am working on adding the Growl notification support (http://growl.info/) as a plugin for the MacOSX version of sip-communicator.

With the enclosed files, an user can be notified via a small window on top of the screen when he receives or send a message. This is very useful when you use multiple desktops, or to follow a discussion even if the chat window is hidden (screenshot: http://www.rkuntz.org/sipco/sip-comm-growl.png ).

I enclosed several files to get the basic support of this functionnality (instead of a big patch which may not be easy to read):

- growl.jar: a small library that needs to be put in lib/

- build.xml-20061207.patch: a patch to apply to build.xml. It allows to not build the bundle if it is not compiled on MacOSX, and to get a correct classpath for the "compile" target if compilation is done on macosx (Be careful, this patch considers that the previous patch I sent about sip-communicator.version has been applied)

- a felix.client.run.properties specific for MacOSX: it includes the plugin and the growl lib. It must be put in resources/install/macosx/
I think this could be a good temporary solution. For the long term, I think users should be able to add plugins via the sipco GUI, and then sipco could take care of changing the felix.properties file.

- growlnotification.tar.gz: Implementation of the service, which includes:

net/java/sip/communicator/impl/growlnotification/
GrowlNotificationActivator.java
GrowlNotificationServiceImpl.java
growlnotification.manifest.mf

net/java/sip/communicator/service/growlnotification/
GrowlNotificationService.java

The GrowlNotificationService.java is almost empty, because I do not define any new functions (I only implements interfaces). So I wonder if this one is useful.

Now some other details:
- I understood the principles of the slick, but I have no idea how I can implement a slick for this plugin. If you have any hints...

About the TODOs:
- Put the SIP communicator Icon as the default icon for the notifications (later, when SIP communicator will be able to get the people's avatar, we can display it instead in the notification window)

- Implement other notifications, such as when a contact becomes online or offline, when a call is received, a file transfer finished or aborted etc.

- Do not display notifications for the contact whose chat window is active (and also if the user is on the same desktop as the chat window).

Comments welcome :slight_smile:
Regards,

growl.jar (2.7 KB)

build.xml-20061207.patch (3.82 KB)

felix.client.run.properties (2.75 KB)

growlnotification.tar.gz (2.88 KB)

···

--
Romain KUNTZ
kuntz@sfc.wide.ad.jp

Now isn't this just so cool :slight_smile:

I didn't get a chance to reply the day you sent it so please excuse the delay.

Thanks a lot for both your contribution (which I like a lot) and the "happy birthday" screen shot ... so cool :slight_smile:

I've said this to you already, but I am impressed by the fact that you did this without asking a single question. Respect! :slight_smile:

Besides, your code is very well written and you respect our coding and architecture conventions! Very good work!

more inline

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Emil,

As you know I am working on adding the Growl notification support (http://growl.info/) as a plugin for the MacOSX version of sip-communicator.

With the enclosed files, an user can be notified via a small window on top of the screen when he receives or send a message. This is very useful when you use multiple desktops, or to follow a discussion even if the chat window is hidden (screenshot: http://www.rkuntz.org/sipco/sip-comm-growl.png ).

I enclosed several files to get the basic support of this functionnality (instead of a big patch which may not be easy to read):

yes, thanks, that's how I prefer them too.

done. I only needed to recompile it so that it is 1.4 compatible. Please try it and let me know if it doesn't work.

- build.xml-20061207.patch: a patch to apply to build.xml. It allows to not build the bundle if it is not compiled on MacOSX, and to get a correct classpath for the "compile" target if compilation is done on macosx (Be careful, this patch considers that the previous patch I sent about sip-communicator.version has been applied)

A couple of comments here. there's no point in performing all the classpath acrobatics. You can feel free to add /System/Library/Java directly to the project classpath since this won't disturb non-mac platforms (it would simply be ignored).

I've also modified your bundling target to produce the jar in sc-bundles/os/macosx, in order to avoid having it included in non-mac distros that are copying * from sc-bundles. I've also updated the macosx target to get the growlnotification.jar file from sc-bundles/os/macosx

- a felix.client.run.properties specific for MacOSX: it includes the plugin and the growl lib. It must be put in resources/install/macosx/
I think this could be a good temporary solution. For the long term, I think users should be able to add plugins via the sipco GUI, and then sipco could take care of changing the felix.properties file.

Indeed this is a bit risky since you'll have to modify this file every time we modify the main felix properties file. I completely agree with you that we should have this handled by a GUI plugin manager ... that we don't have yet.

Just an idea, until we get the plugin manager, wouldn't it be easier for you to keep in the macosx felix properties file only the line that starts the growlnotification bundle? In your mac specific properties file you could have a single line that looks like this:

felix.auto.start.70= reference:file:sc-bundles/growlnotification.jar

and you could attach it to the end of the main felix.client.run.properties.

This should save you the effort of keeping a duplicate felix.client.run.properties up to date with the main one.

WDYT?

- growlnotification.tar.gz: Implementation of the service, which includes:

net/java/sip/communicator/impl/growlnotification/
GrowlNotificationActivator.java
GrowlNotificationServiceImpl.java
growlnotification.manifest.mf

net/java/sip/communicator/service/growlnotification/
GrowlNotificationService.java

The GrowlNotificationService.java is almost empty, because I do not define any new functions (I only implements interfaces). So I wonder if this one is useful.

Indeed not really. We might one day consider something like a sysnotification service that other bundles could use to pop up important messages to users but for now I am keeping the service part outside.

Now some other details:
- I understood the principles of the slick, but I have no idea how I can implement a slick for this plugin. If you have any hints...

Good question ... it would be quite delicate to add consistent unit tests, not to mention running them on cruisecontrol since it is installer on a linux machine and growl is not available on it.

About the TODOs:
- Put the SIP communicator Icon as the default icon for the notifications (later, when SIP communicator will be able to get the people's avatar, we can display it instead in the notification window)

agree

- Implement other notifications, such as when a contact becomes online or offline, when a call is received, a file transfer finished or aborted etc.

yes but that would also require adding a growl pane in the configuration window since users should have the possibility of specifying what kind of events would they like to receive notifications for.

- Do not display notifications for the contact whose chat window is active (and also if the user is on the same desktop as the chat window).

This one should be quite easy actually. It amounts to something like

if( ! uiService.getChatWindow(srcContact).isWindowVisible() )
       return;

(Yana would correct me if I am wrong but it should be something like
this).

Anyways, I am committing with only a few minor modifications. Apart the points that I've addressed in my previous comments I've also had to do on (uglier) change:

Calling notifier.notifyGrowlOf(...) requires cocoa in the classpath during compilation (this means that even if we don't build the bundle we still need cocoa). In order to avoid compilation errors on non mac platforms, I've added a notifyGrowlOf() method in your GrowlNotificationServiceImpl class.

The method wraps usage of growl with reflection. This resolves compilation issues but would only work until the day you decide to add images to your notifications since at that point there would be no way around and you'd have to have cocoa in your classpath.

We are planning to build a separate plugin repository on sip-communicator.dev.java.net and when this happens, the growl notifier would have its own project and won't have to compile on anything else but a mac ... until then reflection would have to do.

OK, I think that's all. Let me know if I've broken anything (which is quite likely) or if you have any comments or disagree with my modifications.

Once again, great work Romain!

Cheers
Emil

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi Emil,

Emil Ivov wrote:

Now isn't this just so cool :slight_smile:

Thanks Emil for applying this contribution to the repository!
Actually it does not work from the CVS sources but here are some patch to fix the issues. Some comments inline.

done. I only needed to recompile it so that it is 1.4 compatible. Please try it and let me know if it doesn't work.

No problem to report with this new version.

A couple of comments here. there's no point in performing all the classpath acrobatics. You can feel free to add /System/Library/Java directly to the project classpath since this won't disturb non-mac platforms (it would simply be ignored).

Yes indeed, this is a lot easier.

I've also modified your bundling target to produce the jar in sc-bundles/os/macosx, in order to avoid having it included in non-mac distros that are copying * from sc-bundles. I've also updated the macosx target to get the growlnotification.jar file from sc-bundles/os/macosx

Perfect :slight_smile:

Indeed this is a bit risky since you'll have to modify this file every time we modify the main felix properties file. I completely agree with you that we should have this handled by a GUI plugin manager ... that we don't have yet.

Just an idea, until we get the plugin manager, wouldn't it be easier for you to keep in the macosx felix properties file only the line that starts the growlnotification bundle? In your mac specific properties file you could have a single line that looks like this:

Yes sure, this is the best way. I enclosed two files:

- felix.client.run.properties.sed to put in resources/install/macosx. Those are sed commands to add the specific macosx lines in the felix.property file (the reference to the bundle, and the com.growl in the osgi packages list)

- a patch to apply to the build.xml to execute a sed command on the "official" felix.client.run.properties file, the output being put in the resources/install/macosx directory.

Could you also delete the felix.client.run.properties file that is in the resources/install/macosx on the repository ?

Indeed not really. We might one day consider something like a sysnotification service that other bundles could use to pop up important messages to users but for now I am keeping the service part outside.

OK, I see that you did not include the file in the repository. As you
say, there is no reason to do so at this time.

Now some other details:

Good question ... it would be quite delicate to add consistent unit tests, not to mention running them on cruisecontrol since it is installer on a linux machine and growl is not available on it.

Ok, so as long as the code stays quite simple, I won't focus on that.

yes but that would also require adding a growl pane in the configuration window since users should have the possibility of specifying what kind of events would they like to receive notifications for.

Actually, the great thing with Growl, is that you do not need to
implement such control panel in your application because Growls already comes with a control pane, where you can activate/desactivate application or specific events that you registered to Growl.

Take a look again at the screenshot I sent in my last mail:
http://www.rkuntz.org/sipco/sip-comm-growl.png

On the top right corner there is the Growl control pane (located in the
MacOSX system preference), and you can configure all application as you
like. In the screenshot, growl is configured to only report events from
sip-communicator when it match the event "Message received" or
"Sip-communicator Started".

This one should be quite easy actually. It amounts to something like

if( ! uiService.getChatWindow(srcContact).isWindowVisible() )
      return;

(Yana would correct me if I am wrong but it should be something like
this).

Actually I have another concern: message should still be displayed if
the user is on another virtual desktop, even if the chat window is active. So I have to find a way to get the desktop number of the application, and the current used desktop number, and according to that and the result of your test, the message would be displayed or not.

I'll investigate that.

Anyways, I am committing with only a few minor modifications. Apart the points that I've addressed in my previous comments I've also had to do on (uglier) change:

Calling notifier.notifyGrowlOf(...) requires cocoa in the classpath during compilation (this means that even if we don't build the bundle we still need cocoa). In order to avoid compilation errors on non mac platforms, I've added a notifyGrowlOf() method in your GrowlNotificationServiceImpl class.

>

The method wraps usage of growl with reflection. This resolves compilation issues but would only work until the day you decide to add images to your notifications since at that point there would be no way around and you'd have to have cocoa in your classpath.

We are planning to build a separate plugin repository on sip-communicator.dev.java.net and when this happens, the growl notifier would have its own project and won't have to compile on anything else but a mac ... until then reflection would have to do.

Ok thanks for taking care of that. I must admit that I did not try to compile it on non-mac platforms before submitting it.

There are just small issues preventing the bundle to work correctly:

- There is a fix to apply to the GrowlNotificationServiceImpl.java file (GrowlNotificationServiceImpl-fix.patch)

- The manifest file changed a bit from the one I submitted, did you have any concern with it? Here is a patch to fix it in growlnotification.manifest.patch

Thanks!

GrowlNotificationServiceImpl-fix.patch (758 Bytes)

growlnotification.manifest.patch (460 Bytes)

felix.client.run.properties.sed (170 Bytes)

build.xml-macosx-sed.patch (1.11 KB)

···

--
Romain KUNTZ
kuntz@sfc.wide.ad.jp

Hey Romain,

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

- felix.client.run.properties.sed to put in resources/install/macosx. Those are sed commands to add the specific macosx lines in the felix.property file (the reference to the bundle, and the com.growl in the osgi packages list)

done.

Could you also delete the felix.client.run.properties file that is in the resources/install/macosx on the repository ?

done

Actually I have another concern: message should still be displayed if
the user is on another virtual desktop, even if the chat window is active. So I have to find a way to get the desktop number of the application, and the current used desktop number, and according to that and the result of your test, the message would be displayed or not.

Ah true. I didn't think of that. I am afraid that the we'd also have this problem on Linux too and resolving it is going to be tricky. The thing is that I am not sure whether the java application itself realizes that it is on a (non-)visible desktop.

You are right we need to think more on that.

There are just small issues preventing the bundle to work correctly:

- There is a fix to apply to the GrowlNotificationServiceImpl.java file (GrowlNotificationServiceImpl-fix.patch)

done

- The manifest file changed a bit from the one I submitted, did you have any concern with it? Here is a patch to fix it in growlnotification.manifest.patch

Oh yes. I see I messed that one up and forgot to add com.growl to the import list.

Actually, I removed the exports clause because a bundle has to export only interfaces and/or classes that it contains and that other bundles would need to import. Most often these are the service APIs. Right now com.growl is one of the system packages because your sed script adds it to felix.client.run.properties and as a system package it is not included in growlnotification.jar. Therefore it is not growlnotification.jar's responsibility to export it. Other bundles that need this package would be able to import it directly from the system packages.

I am adding com.growl to the Import-Package list of growlnotification.jar instead. This should be enough. Please, let me know if it's working now or if I've messed it up again :).

Cheers
Emil

···

Hi Emil,

Emil Ivov wrote:

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

done.

done

I think you forgot to apply a patch to build.xml (build.xml-macosx-sed.patch, I enclosed it again), that allows to apply the sed rules to the felix.properties file in order to create a new specific macosx file.

Oh yes. I see I messed that one up and forgot to add com.growl to the import list.

Actually, I removed the exports clause because a bundle has to export only interfaces and/or classes that it contains and that other bundles would need to import. Most often these are the service APIs. Right now com.growl is one of the system packages because your sed script adds it to felix.client.run.properties and as a system package it is not included in growlnotification.jar. Therefore it is not growlnotification.jar's responsibility to export it. Other bundles that need this package would be able to import it directly from the system packages.

I am adding com.growl to the Import-Package list of growlnotification.jar instead. This should be enough. Please, let me know if it's working now or if I've messed it up again :).

Ok, beside the problem with the build.xml, it works fine !

Thanks,

build.xml-macosx-sed.patch (1.11 KB)

···

--
Romain KUNTZ
kuntz@sfc.wide.ad.jp

Hey,

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

I think you forgot to apply a patch to build.xml (build.xml-macosx-sed.patch, I enclosed it again), that allows to apply the sed rules to the felix.properties file in order to create a new specific macosx file.

You are right. Silly me! It should be ok now.

Ok, beside the problem with the build.xml, it works fine !

Excellent, so now we have a growl notifier!

Thank you for you contribution Romain!

Cheers
Emil

···