[sip-comm-dev] Debian package for SC


#1

Hi all,

I've just commited the necessary files to build a debian package for the
SIP Communicator. I've also updated the ant build.xml file to add a "deb" task to easily create a Debian package. This task depends on the "make" task and will be skipped if the needed tools (dpkg-buildpackage) are not found. The Debian package are available under release/debian.

Are there any volunteers running Debian willing to test the package?

Cheers,
Martin

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#2

Hi Martin,

I've tested the debian package everything works fine. builds (after install dependencies) and installs ok.

There are some exceptions but they are not connected to the debian package.

The one exception is if you run SC under root a directory /tmp/sip-communicator.bin which is not usable if you run then
from normal user - Exception Access Denied is thrown.

Martin Andr� wrote:

···

Hi all,

I've just commited the necessary files to build a debian package for the
SIP Communicator. I've also updated the ant build.xml file to add a "deb" task to easily create a Debian package. This task depends on the "make" task and will be skipped if the needed tools (dpkg-buildpackage) are not found. The Debian package are available under release/debian.

Are there any volunteers running Debian willing to test the package?

Cheers,
Martin

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#3

Hey Damian,

Damian Minkov wrote:

Hi Martin,

I've tested the debian package everything works fine. builds (after install dependencies) and installs ok.

There are some exceptions but they are not connected to the debian package.

The one exception is if you run SC under root a directory /tmp/sip-communicator.bin which is not usable if you run then
from normal user - Exception Access Denied is thrown.

Good catch. Actually, the current behavior (from the cvs source) for oscar is to deploy its bundles in the current directory in a sip-communicator.bin directory. Because the package installs the files under /usr/share/sip-communicator, it is impossible for a normal user to write here. So i changed the destination to /tmp. but didn't though at the multiuser issue. I changed the behavior to have the default oscar one, ie deploy in ~/.noscar/sip-communicator.bin.

Thanks,
Martin

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#4

Hi Emil,

Emil Ivov wrote:

Hi Martin,

I am afraid that storing bundles in the ~/.noscar directory could lead to another problem. I am not sure that oscar would update (I actually believe it won't) update installed bundles after you upgrade your sip-communicator with an apt-get update. In other words, the /usr/share directory will be upgraded but this won't change anything for the user after they restart their sip-communicator.

This adds up to the fact that keeping duplicates of the SIP Communicator on the user machine does not sound quite right.

Hmmm, you're right... as usual :slight_smile:

We'd have to think of something else like for example distributing the oscar repository itself and configuring oscar to install only newly downloaded bundles/plugins in the user home and keeping the rest in /usr/share.

Any ideas?

This seems good to me. I'll look if this is possible to do such thing with Oscar.

BTW, do someone know other projects using oscar? How are they packaged under multi-users OS?

Martin

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#5

Hello Martin,

Anything new on the multi user issue?

Incidentally, I wanted to ask you something. Wouldn't it be nice to add a dependency on libaoss for the sip-communicator .deb package and launch it with LD_PRELOAD set to /usr/lib/libaoss.so ?

Since JavaSound uses OSS, as soon as it opens the sound device it hogs on it (at best) or fails if another app is already using it. This happens for both sound notifications and rendering incoming audio streams. Since recently (I don't know when exactly), alsa have enabled dmix and dsnoop by default for non-multichannel sound cards so it would be enough to make the sip-communicator use Alsa. This would automatically resolve the multiple access issue.

I've been using the SIP Communicator with libaoss lately and it works really fine.

WDYT?

Emil

Martin Andr� wrote:

···

Hi Emil,

Emil Ivov wrote:

Hi Martin,

I am afraid that storing bundles in the ~/.noscar directory could lead to another problem. I am not sure that oscar would update (I actually believe it won't) update installed bundles after you upgrade your sip-communicator with an apt-get update. In other words, the /usr/share directory will be upgraded but this won't change anything for the user after they restart their sip-communicator.

This adds up to the fact that keeping duplicates of the SIP Communicator on the user machine does not sound quite right.

Hmmm, you're right... as usual :slight_smile:

We'd have to think of something else like for example distributing the oscar repository itself and configuring oscar to install only newly downloaded bundles/plugins in the user home and keeping the rest in /usr/share.

Any ideas?

This seems good to me. I'll look if this is possible to do such thing with Oscar.

BTW, do someone know other projects using oscar? How are they packaged under multi-users OS?

Martin

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#6

Hi Emil,

Emil Ivov wrote:

Hello Martin,

Anything new on the multi user issue?

No, not yet. I saw you commited to the cvs many things recently (looks like we are really close to the first beta release ;)). I will check if there is no incidence on the debian package build and will search for a solution for the multi user issue by the end of the week.

Incidentally, I wanted to ask you something. Wouldn't it be nice to add a dependency on libaoss for the sip-communicator .deb package and launch it with LD_PRELOAD set to /usr/lib/libaoss.so ?

Since JavaSound uses OSS, as soon as it opens the sound device it hogs on it (at best) or fails if another app is already using it. This happens for both sound notifications and rendering incoming audio streams. Since recently (I don't know when exactly), alsa have enabled dmix and dsnoop by default for non-multichannel sound cards so it would be enough to make the sip-communicator use Alsa. This would automatically resolve the multiple access issue.

I've been using the SIP Communicator with libaoss lately and it works really fine.

WDYT?

Well if you tell me that it works fine, I have absolutely no objection to add a dependency on the alsa-oss package (containing libaoss). I will check it.

Martin

···

Emil

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net