[sip-comm-dev] Contact info images

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to finalize a first solid version of contact information and I was hoping for opinions on where contact images should go. In case you either didn't run the code I sent out earlier, to give a basic sense of what it looks like, there's a JList on the left side of a frame showing all subcontacts of the contact in question, and on the ride there is a tabbed pane that contains a summary of the subcontacts information as well as an extended view that displays all details.

Originally, the subcontact's image was going to be displayed in the top left position of the summary tab, but I was wondering what people thought of a slightly different style. I thought it might be nice to put the image above the JList so that it is in view at all times, regardless of what portion of the tabs the user is looking at. The two problems with this are that it will decrease the amount of space available to list subcontacts, and it might look strange if you are switching between subcontacts that do and don't have images available. The second issue can probably be solved by just sticking in a set image if none is available, like an SC logo or something like that. The other problem is more subjective and so is how aesthetically pleasing the layout would look. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd very much like to hear them. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Adam

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi Adam,

I personally prefer the solution where all information related to the contact (included the picture) are in the tabbed pane. For consistency, I don't think that splitting information for the same contact in 2 different spaces is a good idea.

But, as you proposed, displaying a default picture when none are available is a good idea.

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2007/07/19, at 2:11, Adam Goldstein wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to finalize a first solid version of contact information and I was hoping for opinions on where contact images should go. In case you either didn't run the code I sent out earlier, to give a basic sense of what it looks like, there's a JList on the left side of a frame showing all subcontacts of the contact in question, and on the ride there is a tabbed pane that contains a summary of the subcontacts information as well as an extended view that displays all details.

Originally, the subcontact's image was going to be displayed in the top left position of the summary tab, but I was wondering what people thought of a slightly different style. I thought it might be nice to put the image above the JList so that it is in view at all times, regardless of what portion of the tabs the user is looking at. The two problems with this are that it will decrease the amount of space available to list subcontacts, and it might look strange if you are switching between subcontacts that do and don't have images available. The second issue can probably be solved by just sticking in a set image if none is available, like an SC logo or something like that. The other problem is more subjective and so is how aesthetically pleasing the layout would look. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd very much like to hear them. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Adam