[sip-comm-dev] BSD port and jar files


#1

Hello again Devs,

I managed to recover the access to my real e-mail, so I've subscribed again
to the dev list.
A while ago I promised to take care for the BSD port of SipCommunicator, and
now, I have some ideas.
Usually, when you submit aport, it has certain requirements /
dependencies, in our case this
is
Java ! :slight_smile: The BSD port system will force you to go and register
yourself atsun's site, and restart the port installation -
this is the tricky part for the user - he has to go to /var/db/packages,
remove some files here and there, and some other unfriendly BSD tricks.
Therefore, I decided to
use Jports; it's a port functionality which allows you to submit a jar
file.This would be our generic installer located
here.<http://download.java.net/communications/sip-communicator/nightly/generic/>
<http://download.java.net/communications/sip-communicator/nightly/generic/>Hence,
I'd like to know which jar file should I use, and if there is one, treated
as official, please point me to its location.
BTW, soon BSD will sort out this registration, due to licensing issues, and
BSD users will not suffer this whole process anymore, and java will be
ported as pre-installed.

Kiril Varbanov


#2

Hello Kiril, and thanks for the input.

I am very glad to hear that you are still interested in this contribution as it would be very nice to have a native BSD package for SIP Communicator.

I have a couple of questions concerning your last mail.

I've never used BSD so I don't know how its package system works so I am wondering - in case you use our izPack installer to deploy SIP Communicator, then would the system package manager be aware of all the files that the izPack installer has deployed?

You say that BSD would soon fix their java package issues. Does this mean that when they do, it would be possible for us to have a native BSD package? If this is the case, then wouldn't it be better to simply have a standard bsd package and simply live with the dependancy issue until they've sorted it out?

Thanks
Emil

Kiril Varbanov wrote:

路路路

Hello again Devs,

I managed to recover the access to my real e-mail, so I've subscribed again to the dev list.
A while ago I promised to take care for the BSD port of SipCommunicator, and now, I have some ideas. Usually, when you submit aport, it has certain requirements / dependencies, in our case this is Java ! :slight_smile: The BSD port system will force you to go and register yourself atsun's site, and restart the port installation - this is the tricky part for the user - he has to go to /var/db/packages, remove some files here and there, and some other unfriendly BSD tricks. Therefore, I decided to use Jports; it's a port functionality which allows you to submit a jar file.This would be our generic installer located here. <http://download.java.net/communications/sip-communicator/nightly/generic/>
<http://download.java.net/communications/sip-communicator/nightly/generic/>Hence, I'd like to know which jar file should I use, and if there is one, treated as official, please point me to its location.
BTW, soon BSD will sort out this registration, due to licensing issues, and BSD users will not suffer this whole process anymore, and java will be ported as pre-installed.

Kiril Varbanov

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#3

Hi Emo,

Here's how it works in general :

Let's assume that we've submitted port to BSD tree, and its location is
/usr/ports/net-im/sip-communicator.
The user has two options :

Go to /usr/ports/, invoke a command "make search key="sip communicator" and
he will find the location of the port. Then, "cd
/usr/ports/net-im/sip-communicator", for his own info, the user may "cat"
the file "pkg_descr" and view some info for the package. Then he can simply
invoke "make install clean", which will install the port, and clean any
temporary file after that.
Like I said, the usual format of the port is tar.gz - a while ago you sent
me an explanation on how to build such package, but I got little confused,
therefore I decided to use the jar package, it's basically the same.

The second option for the user is to simply invoke "pkg_add -r" from any
location at his system - this will do the above procedure - as you can see,
that's the easier and shortest option. This method is also good for another
reason : the user will have more control on what's installed on his system :

"pkg_info | grep sip" will show him which version he has installed + some
more info.
In both cases, regardless of the type of package (jar or tar.gz), the port
system will be aware that such package is being installed.

However, the Java installation and licensing is still the tricky part, and
user has to do "go to sun.com, register, restart the installation".

So, our two options are :
1. Submit the package now, and wait for ~ month (the usual time for a port
to appear on the tree), or
2. Wait for BSD group to sort out their issues with Sun, and have Sip
preinstalled with the new versions of BSD (7.0 maybe), assuming that this
version will have Java natively installed.
You can imagine how cool it would be to enter KDE menu, go to Communication
/ Multimedia and find Sip Comm there.
Personally I prefer the second option, but I'm not sure when exactly this
will happen - according to BSD core developers, the negotiations are in
progress.

Let me know your opinion, I'm ready to cooperate in any case.

Kiril

路路路

2007/4/12, Emil Ivov <emcho@emcho.com>:

Hello Kiril, and thanks for the input.

I am very glad to hear that you are still interested in this
contribution as it would be very nice to have a native BSD package for
SIP Communicator.

I have a couple of questions concerning your last mail.

I've never used BSD so I don't know how its package system works so I am
wondering - in case you use our izPack installer to deploy SIP
Communicator, then would the system package manager be aware of all the
files that the izPack installer has deployed?

You say that BSD would soon fix their java package issues. Does this
mean that when they do, it would be possible for us to have a native BSD
package? If this is the case, then wouldn't it be better to simply have
a standard bsd package and simply live with the dependancy issue until
they've sorted it out?

Thanks
Emil

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
> Hello again Devs,
>
> I managed to recover the access to my real e-mail, so I've subscribed
> again to the dev list.
> A while ago I promised to take care for the BSD port of SipCommunicator,
> and now, I have some ideas.
> Usually, when you submit aport, it has certain requirements /
dependencies, in our case this
> is
> Java ! :slight_smile: The BSD port system will force you to go and register yourself
atsun's site, and restart the port installation -
> this is the tricky part for the user - he has to go to /var/db/packages,
> remove some files here and there, and some other unfriendly BSD tricks.
> Therefore, I decided to
> use Jports; it's a port functionality which allows you to submit a jar
> file.This would be our generic installer located here.
> <
http://download.java.net/communications/sip-communicator/nightly/generic/>
> <
http://download.java.net/communications/sip-communicator/nightly/generic/
>Hence,
> I'd like to know which jar file should I use, and if there is one,
> treated as official, please point me to its location.
> BTW, soon BSD will sort out this registration, due to licensing issues,
> and BSD users will not suffer this whole process anymore, and java will
> be ported as pre-installed.
>
> Kiril Varbanov
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net