[sip-comm-dev] Ant default target

Hello Devs,

I am looking at the ant build.xml file for the first time more closely now. I had noticed that the
default target doesn't make or build, but prints messages which I find cool, however it appeared
that these messages are hardcoded. I searched the DEV mailing list and here was a previous
discussion about this:
https://sip-communicator.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=469

So, my question is, can we make these messages somehow read what is in the description attributes
of the targets, instead having to sync it manualy with every change? I mean, to make the default
target be like when you call "ant -p".

Thanks
--Pavel Tankov

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Pavel Tankov wrote:

I am looking at the ant build.xml file for the first time more closely now. I had noticed that the
default target doesn't make or build, but prints messages which I find cool, however it appeared
that these messages are hardcoded. I searched the DEV mailing list and here was a previous
discussion about this:
https://sip-communicator.dev.java.net/servlets/ReadMsg?listName=dev&msgNo=469

So, my question is, can we make these messages somehow read what is in the description attributes
of the targets, instead having to sync it manualy with every change? I mean, to make the default
target be like when you call "ant -p".

I haven't changed my opinion, but that does not mean I am correct.

a) The default target is a "safe" usage prompt. This protects someone who doesn't know what he or she is doing from destroying the contents of their sandbox by accident. In other words, if you don't know what target to specify, you cannot do any harm... AND ... the default target gives you help deciding what target you might like to run.

If you accept this philosophy about the default target (it is becoming common practice on many open source projects), then it makes sense to do what we have, i.e. hard-code brief but helpful instructions about ONLY the important targets.

b) One of the lines in the default target (it is meaningfully called "usage") tells you how to run ant with the "-projecthelp" argument. This option will generate a COMPLETE list of ALL external targets within build.xml. The list includes the values of the description tags of each target, which can be quite long and would not format nicely (try it on a normal command prompt). That's why we hardcode the description strings in the "usage" target... so they format as nicely as possible without losing their helpful meaning.

You will see that all the external ant targets are things you might want to run explicitly. There are many more than in the usage list, which is limited to ONLY those external targets that ordinary mortals might want to run under normal circumstances.

c) many of the build targets are internal, which means they MUST NOT have a description tag and so will be suppressed by ant's "-projecthelp" option. We make many of our targets invisible because you would never want to run them alone, only as part of the dependency tree of an external target. Nevertheless, we try to associate a meaningful XML comment to every target definition.

In the ideal world, ant would provide an extra target tag, perhaps called target-type. The permitted values of this tag would be (hypothetically) "usage", "external" and "internal"... or maybe ant would support up to three different kinds of description for a single target...

Anyway, in the real world we do the best we can. The convention I have just described arose because SO MANY people were downloading the source and then posting the mailing list because their build's didn't work.

Regards,

Brian

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net