[sip-comm-dev] An old issue with the testing environment

Emil,

I'm working through the various problems that can occur with IcqProtocolProviderSlick.
I'm currently testing password problems, but I noticed a third Exception case where the
contact list is null. This will also need changing.

I just thought it best to warn you... the code will look ugly until I've finished, because I've
decided to not do the refactoring until I've uncovered all (most?) of the potential
failures.

I don't want to start refactoring too soon in case I adopt a sub-optimal strategy. Once
I've identified enough cases, I'll tackle the refactoring, so please be patient.
Regards,

Brian

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hey Brian,

Brian Burch wrote:

Emil,

I'm working through the various problems that can occur with IcqProtocolProviderSlick. I'm currently testing password problems, but I noticed a third Exception case where the contact list is null. This will also need changing.

Could you please be a bit more precise and point me to the code you are talking about?

Emil

OK I just saw your commit.

I completely agree.

Emil

Emil Ivov wrote:

···

Hey Brian,

Brian Burch wrote:

Emil,

I'm working through the various problems that can occur with IcqProtocolProviderSlick. I'm currently testing password problems, but I noticed a third Exception case where the contact list is null. This will also need changing.

Could you please be a bit more precise and point me to the code you are talking about?

Emil

Sorry, I was trying to save you the trouble and ended up making you look at the code.

I'm currently looking at IcqProtocolProviderSlick.initializeTestedContactList(), which throws
three different IAE's.

Could you send me a sample of your own (valid) testing accounts.icq.CONTACT_LIST property, please? It would save me some time reading the code and experimenting.

···

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:54:29 +0200, Emil Ivov wrote:

OK I just saw your commit.

I completely agree.

+++++++++++++++

I'm thinking this is the time to meditate on the refactoring task... we have (well... had) Exceptions thrown in start(), and now IAE's thrown in initializeTestedContactList(). We also have the "normal" case where the
proper set of unit tests need to be established.

I need each "setup phase" to...

a) test a go/nogo state (instance private boolean) before doing its own logic.
b) signal the current go/nogo state for any downstream logic.
c) modify/replace the test suite (instance private junit.framework.Test) to be registered for later execution by jUnit.

I hope this doesn't sound like overkill, but so far I've uncovered 5 Exceptions and there might be more waiting to be discovered. Working within the jUnit Test framework, I don't know how to pass a "symptom" String
to a TestCase instance that is intended to simply fail with a meaningful message. I don't want to extend the TestCase class to solve this specific kind of problem. That means I'm stuck with running a different test for
each kind of error condition.

What do you think?

Regards,

Brian

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net