[sip-comm-dev] Adding users who require authorization

Hi,

When adding such users there seems to be a problem. The GUI is blocked, the responses are slow.
In this process there are three parts from the code involved.
1. UI
2. Metacontact list
3. Authorization Impl of icq protocol

I'm dealing now with this problem.
Here is something interesting that I had just found.
See It and give ideas.

The gui acts like I said. The strange thing is when I add a single logger.info everything changes.
And here the gui starts to work OK.

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.contactlist.MetaContactListServiceImpl
line : 298

put for example Logger.getLogger(this.getClass().getName()).info("before wait for event");
just before
evtRetriever.waitForEvent(CONTACT_LIST_MODIFICATION_TIMEOUT);

And report is it working and give ideas :))

damencho

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi Damian,

I have just tested and nothing changes for me :frowning:

Yana

Damian Minkov wrote:

···

Hi,

When adding such users there seems to be a problem. The GUI is blocked, the responses are slow.
1. UI
2. Metacontact list

See It and give ideas.

The gui acts like I said. The strange thing is when I add a single logger.info everything changes.

put for example Logger.getLogger(this.getClass().getName()).info("before wait for event");
just before

damencho

I've experienced similar behaviour without adding contacts. I wonder whether this could be caused by usage of SwingUtilities.invokeLater(). I've mentioned this to Yana and she agreed to replace all calls to SwingUtilities.invokeLater() with execution of a new thread. Maybe this would change something.

Yana, I know that you have lots of uncommitted modifications on the UI. When do you think that you would be ready to commit the replacement?

In the mean time, there was a problem when receiving authorization requests (in ICQ). The SIP Communicator would completely freeze any time anyone trying to add us to their contact list sends an authorization request. Damencho, do you think you would be able to have a look at that until Yana is ready to commit?

Emil

Damian Minkov wrote:

···

Hi,

1. UI
2. Metacontact list

See It and give ideas.

just before

damencho

I suppose its some sort of synchronize problem. Cause to me it was working from every time . but now started not to work every time.
Strange! Still looking at it.

thanks

Yana Stamcheva wrote:

···

Hi Damian,

I have just tested and nothing changes for me :frowning:

Yana

Ok I will look at receiving authorization requests :slight_smile:

Emil Ivov wrote:

···

I've experienced similar behaviour without adding contacts. I wonder whether this could be caused by usage of SwingUtilities.invokeLater(). I've mentioned this to Yana and she agreed to replace all calls to SwingUtilities.invokeLater() with execution of a new thread. Maybe this would change something.

Yana, I know that you have lots of uncommitted modifications on the UI. When do you think that you would be ready to commit the replacement?

In the mean time, there was a problem when receiving authorization requests (in ICQ). The SIP Communicator would completely freeze any time anyone trying to add us to their contact list sends an authorization request. Damencho, do you think you would be able to have a look at that until Yana is ready to commit?

Emil

Hi Emil,

Emil Ivov wrote:

These days I've read a lot about Swing and threads and particularly about SwingUtilities.invokeLater() method and I think that now I understand better how it should be used. I'll go throughout the code and replace this method, where its use is inappropriate. It could not be replaced by invoking a new thread, because of the single-thread rule in swing but I agree that there are many cases where I haven't used it appropriately.

Yes, I think I'll finish later today and I'll commit all changes.

···

Emil

Damian Minkov wrote:

Hi,

1. UI
2. Metacontact list

See It and give ideas.

just before

damencho

About the problem when receiving authorization request! There is some timeout when request is received.
I found the problem comes from the method ContactIcqImpl.getDisplayName() there is the wait which stops the whole process
First the ContactIcqImpl.getDisplayName() through this process is called 6 or 7 times.
The process of handling display name (nick name retrieving) is as follows.
    We do not want to wait and retrieve nicknames (because this method is called many times) and nickname retrieve is not so quick
     The contact uin is put in Vector for later retrieve. The idea is to be as quick as possible.

First the code is here net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.icq.ServerStoredContactListIcqImpl in inner class NickRetriever.
But what happens. There are two methods the first is the run method for the thread. The second is for adding contacts for retrieving.
The problem is when there is contact for retrieving and the thread comes to the moment (in run() method) :
String nickName = getParentProvider().
                                getInfoRetreiver().getNickName(contact.getUIN());
Which is the slow one. but this is in synchronized(contactsForUpdate){ block.
And in this moment if we try to add other contact we must wait this process to finish so we can add it.

So the problem is that in this synchronized there is a slow part . So one decision is to make a copy of this vector to clear it
and there ends the synchronized block. And then is the retrieving and so on - the slow part ?

damencho

···

OK I see what you mean,

So one decision is to make a copy of this vector to clear it
and there ends the synchronized block. And then is the retrieving and so on - the slow part ?

Yes. That would be great. Only copy and clear contactsForUpdate in the synchrnozed block should be quick enough and would avoid any race conditions. Good idea!

Emil

Damian Minkov wrote:

···

About the problem when receiving authorization request! There is some timeout when request is received.
I found the problem comes from the method ContactIcqImpl.getDisplayName() there is the wait which stops the whole process
First the ContactIcqImpl.getDisplayName() through this process is called 6 or 7 times.
The process of handling display name (nick name retrieving) is as follows.
    We do not want to wait and retrieve nicknames (because this method is called many times) and nickname retrieve is not so quick
     The contact uin is put in Vector for later retrieve. The idea is to be as quick as possible.

First the code is here net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.icq.ServerStoredContactListIcqImpl in inner class NickRetriever.
But what happens. There are two methods the first is the run method for the thread. The second is for adding contacts for retrieving.
The problem is when there is contact for retrieving and the thread comes to the moment (in run() method) :
String nickName = getParentProvider().
                                getInfoRetreiver().getNickName(contact.getUIN());
Which is the slow one. but this is in synchronized(contactsForUpdate){ block.
And in this moment if we try to add other contact we must wait this process to finish so we can add it.

So the problem is that in this synchronized there is a slow part . So one decision is to make a copy of this vector to clear it

damencho