[sip-comm-dev] About the internal targets in ant build.xml script

Hello,

I've noticed that at several places in the main build.xml file the comment

<!--internal-target- -->

is used to denote that a target is meant for internal call by other targets only (or for
dependance).

Maybe we can make the names of those tasks start with a dash ("-") to ensure that they will remain
internal and won't be called from the command line?

--Pavel Tankov

···

____________________________________________________________________________________
We have the perfect Group for you. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups
(http://groups.yahoo.com)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Pavel Tankov wrote:

Hello,

<!--internal-target- -->

is used to denote that a target is meant for internal call by other targets only (or for
dependance).

Maybe we can make the names of those tasks start with a dash ("-") to ensure that they will remain

Unless the behaviour of ant has changed recently, I think there was a good reason for NOT giving targets names that start with a minus sign.

I can't remember the reason any more, but I think it will still be on the sip-comm dev archive. We definitely discussed the issue and tested what ant did before choosing the current rather strange approach.

Perhaps these targets still get listed with "-projecthelp" - if you feel strongly enough, you could make a test with the latest ant version.

···

When we last talked about this, we decided that there was no point in making targets explicitly internal (using "-") since developers may want to use them in some cases. We decided however that we shouldn't write descriptions for them so that they don't confuse new users, and instead we could write comments for those that would possibly use them.

The fact that there is "internal-target" written everywhere is indeed sligthly redundant but it doesn't do any harm and besides it indicates that the comment was purposefully not written as a description.

Cheers
Emil

Brian Burch wrote:

···

Pavel Tankov wrote:

Hello,

<!--internal-target- -->

dependance).

Unless the behaviour of ant has changed recently, I think there was a good reason for NOT giving targets names that start with a minus sign.

I can't remember the reason any more, but I think it will still be on the sip-comm dev archive. We definitely discussed the issue and tested what ant did before choosing the current rather strange approach.

Perhaps these targets still get listed with "-projecthelp" - if you feel strongly enough, you could make a test with the latest ant version.