[sip-comm-dev] About instant messages


#1

Hello

I've come across your software a few days ago and I'm very interested in it for a project I'm working on. I'd like to know if there is going to be support for instant messages in the new version you're pre-releasing this month.
I'm very interested in this feature and probably I can contribute some coding if I choose this software for my project.

Best regards,

···

--
Ing. Jorge Merlino
Teledata Comunicaciones
Canelones 2101 - Montevideo - Uruguay
jorge.merlino@teledata.com.uy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#2

Hello Jorge,

Yes we're planning on including several IM protocol stacks (ICQ/AIM, Jabber, MAN) inside it.

Yet the release might take a bit more to arrive. In other words end of this month is most probably not going to be it.

Cheers
Emil

Jorge Merlino wrote:

···

Hello

I've come across your software a few days ago and I'm very interested in it for a project I'm working on. I'd like to know if there is going to be support for instant messages in the new version you're pre-releasing this month.
I'm very interested in this feature and probably I can contribute some coding if I choose this software for my project.

Best regards,

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#3

IMHO, beteer way make it with SER. it has already a module for Jabber Gateway,
and jabber has gateways for all IM system.

Wbr,

···

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:51:39PM +0900, Emil Ivov wrote:

Hello Jorge,

Yes we're planning on including several IM protocol stacks (ICQ/AIM,
Jabber, MAN) inside it.

Yet the release might take a bit more to arrive. In other words end of
this month is most probably not going to be it.

--
Alexandr Dubovikov * baron@iRC RusNet * mailto:shurik@start4.info
    AD1-UANIC * ICQ: 122351182 * http://www.start4.info

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#4

Emil:

Thank you for you prompt answer. Maybe I didn't choose the right words for this because I was referring to sip instant messages (ie. the SIP MESSAGE method)
I tried this with the current version and I see a pop-up window with the message but I was wandering if you're planning to add a GUI for this and maybe for prescence also (ie. SIMPLE or something like that)

Regards
  Jorge

Emil Ivov wrote:

···

Hello Jorge,

Yes we're planning on including several IM protocol stacks (ICQ/AIM, Jabber, MAN) inside it.

Yet the release might take a bit more to arrive. In other words end of this month is most probably not going to be it.

Cheers
Emil

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#5

Well Jabber has its own issues. Gateways offer a good abstraction level but they are often not up to date or once your gateway goes down you are unable to communicate. The pro/con list is quite long. I agree Jabber is very good but it is up to users to make the final decision as to whether or not they are going to use it.

As for SER and SIMPLE, SIP instant messaging still has many many issues (concerning especially presence) that are being worked on on ietf. Available protocol documents are mainly drafts (i.e. work in progress) and you only have RFCs for very basic functionality. I like SIMPLE very much but we'll have to wait a bit until it reaches maturity and becomes a reliable means of communication.

By the way, do you know whether SER now have full presence agent support? If this is the case then I guess it is time to finish that SIMPLE support in sip-communicator.

Cheers
Emil

Alexandr Dubovikov wrote:

···

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 02:51:39PM +0900, Emil Ivov wrote:

Hello Jorge,

Yes we're planning on including several IM protocol stacks (ICQ/AIM, Jabber, MAN) inside it.

Yet the release might take a bit more to arrive. In other words end of this month is most probably not going to be it.

IMHO, beteer way make it with SER. it has already a module for Jabber Gateway,
and jabber has gateways for all IM system.

Wbr,

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#6

Hi Jorge

I tried this with the current version and I see a pop-up window with the message but I was wandering if you're planning to add a GUI for this and maybe for prescence also (ie. SIMPLE or something like that)

A common user interface ( currently under construction) will be created for all types of IMs. All underlyin messages stacks will be using it. I guess we will be able to be more specific once the osgi release is out.

Cheers
Emil

···

Regards
    Jorge

Emil Ivov wrote:

Hello Jorge,

Yes we're planning on including several IM protocol stacks (ICQ/AIM, Jabber, MAN) inside it.

Yet the release might take a bit more to arrive. In other words end of this month is most probably not going to be it.

Cheers
Emil

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#7

as I see, last update was December 2003 and
up to now, I dind't find a new update for SIMPLE2JABBER :frowning:

if you want have all features of IM protocols, I think your way is
better, but a little bit hard :slight_smile:

Jabber has more pluses, at first this protocol has RFC, second, the protocol is
open, third, people did some good clients on java, so you can see stack,
how it works, without biggest brainstorm.

isn't it ? :slight_smile:

Well Jabber has its own issues. Gateways offer a good abstraction level
but they are often not up to date or once your gateway goes down you are
unable to communicate. The pro/con list is quite long. I agree Jabber is
very good but it is up to users to make the final decision as to whether
or not they are going to use it.

As for SER and SIMPLE, SIP instant messaging still has many many issues
(concerning especially presence) that are being worked on on ietf.
Available protocol documents are mainly drafts (i.e. work in progress)
and you only have RFCs for very basic functionality. I like SIMPLE very
much but we'll have to wait a bit until it reaches maturity and becomes
a reliable means of communication.

By the way, do you know whether SER now have full presence agent
support? If this is the case then I guess it is time to finish that
SIMPLE support in sip-communicator.

Cheers
Emil

Wbr,

···

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 07:57:48PM +0900, Emil Ivov wrote:
--
Alexandr Dubovikov * baron@iRC RusNet * mailto:shurik@start4.info
    AD1-UANIC * ICQ: 122351182 * http://www.start4.info

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#8

Just a question:

What does SER lack about presence support? I have tried it with Windows Messenger and Kphone and presence seems to work allright.

Regards
    Jorge

Emil Ivov wrote:

···

Well Jabber has its own issues. Gateways offer a good abstraction level but they are often not up to date or once your gateway goes down you are unable to communicate. The pro/con list is quite long. I agree Jabber is very good but it is up to users to make the final decision as to whether or not they are going to use it.

As for SER and SIMPLE, SIP instant messaging still has many many issues (concerning especially presence) that are being worked on on ietf. Available protocol documents are mainly drafts (i.e. work in progress) and you only have RFCs for very basic functionality. I like SIMPLE very much but we'll have to wait a bit until it reaches maturity and becomes a reliable means of communication.

By the way, do you know whether SER now have full presence agent support? If this is the case then I guess it is time to finish that SIMPLE support in sip-communicator.

Cheers
Emil

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#9

It's been a long time since I last used it but one thing I remember is that it lacked real presence agent support. Which put shortly means that - it is up to the client to send presence status notifications.

Emil

Jorge Merlino wrote:

···

Just a question:

What does SER lack about presence support? I have tried it with Windows Messenger and Kphone and presence seems to work allright.

Regards
   Jorge

Emil Ivov wrote:

Well Jabber has its own issues. Gateways offer a good abstraction level but they are often not up to date or once your gateway goes down you are unable to communicate. The pro/con list is quite long. I agree Jabber is very good but it is up to users to make the final decision as to whether or not they are going to use it.

As for SER and SIMPLE, SIP instant messaging still has many many issues (concerning especially presence) that are being worked on on ietf. Available protocol documents are mainly drafts (i.e. work in progress) and you only have RFCs for very basic functionality. I like SIMPLE very much but we'll have to wait a bit until it reaches maturity and becomes a reliable means of communication.

By the way, do you know whether SER now have full presence agent support? If this is the case then I guess it is time to finish that SIMPLE support in sip-communicator.

Cheers
Emil

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#10

Have you seen this ?
http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/modules/html/pa.html

Regards
    Jorge

Emil Ivov wrote:

···

It's been a long time since I last used it but one thing I remember is that it lacked real presence agent support. Which put shortly means that - it is up to the client to send presence status notifications.

Emil

Jorge Merlino wrote:

Just a question:

What does SER lack about presence support? I have tried it with Windows Messenger and Kphone and presence seems to work allright.

Regards
   Jorge

--
Ing. Jorge Merlino
Teledata Comunicaciones
Canelones 2101 - Montevideo - Uruguay
jorge.merlino@teledata.com.uy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#11

Hm,
Looks promising. Does it work well? It doesn't say it on the page but I guess it gets notified for client status using PUBLISH requests: Is that so?

Cheers
Emil

Jorge Merlino wrote:

···

Have you seen this ?
http://www.iptel.org/ser/doc/modules/html/pa.html

Regards
   Jorge

Emil Ivov wrote:

It's been a long time since I last used it but one thing I remember is that it lacked real presence agent support. Which put shortly means that - it is up to the client to send presence status notifications.

Emil

Jorge Merlino wrote:

Just a question:

What does SER lack about presence support? I have tried it with Windows Messenger and Kphone and presence seems to work allright.

Regards
   Jorge

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#12

Hi

Sorry, but I forgot to answer this. Yes it supports PUBLISH also. The link I sent points to the old doc file. If you download ser 0.9 you can read the new one which also mentions PUBLISH.

Regards,
    Jorge

Emil Ivov wrote:

···

Hm,
Looks promising. Does it work well? It doesn't say it on the page but I guess it gets notified for client status using PUBLISH requests: Is that so?

Cheers
Emil

--
Ing. Jorge Merlino
Teledata Comunicaciones
Canelones 2101 - Montevideo - Uruguay
jorge.merlino@teledata.com.uy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net