Share a YouTube Video not auto playing for the participants

Hi @Team, @damencho we had an issue with YouTube share video not auto play for participants, but moderator side video is playing properly.

I got errors in browser console for participant side.

[JitsiMeetJS.js] <Object.getGlobalOnErrorHandler>: UnhandledError: null Script: null Line: null Column: null StackTrace: DOMException: play() failed because the user didn’t interact with the document first. https://goo.gl/xX8pDD

Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: play() failed because the user didn’t interact with the document first. https://goo.gl/xX8pDD

www-widgetapi.js:99 Failed to execute ‘postMessage’ on ‘DOMWindow’: The target origin provided (‘https://www.youtube.com’) does not match the recipient window’s origin some.example.com

Please help me to resolve this issue.

1 Like

This is caused by the new auto-play policy google introduced, my understanding is that this policy will be disabled at some point if there is on going webrtc session, or at least mic or camera is open.
There is nothing we can do at the moment.
In order to make it work a user interaction is required, but this interaction can be just clicking the play/pause button.

1 Like

Thank you @damencho.

Hi @damencho, we don’t see the shared youtube video for the participants. Its just show the frozen title. Its just playing for the Host.

Thanks in advance.

Interaction on the users end? or host end?
if there is anything consistent like pause and paying will start video at the users end, let me know, as it’s working some time and not working on other times.

Hi there,
I realise I’m resurrecting an old topic, but this is definitely a problem for us here - and I’ve got behaviours that I cant nail down / can’t get a repro for.
Essentially, some people cannot see the youtube streams that are shared. And I cannot figure out much else.
I have three machines here which all consistently play the streams no problems.
A fourth (older imac - we are all on macs) - had two occasions today where it just sat with the thumbnail image (the same image that shows on grid view) while it was in focus, with a youtube play button in the middle. But hitting the playbutton did nothing.
However, forcing a browser refresh (cmd+sft+r) - kicking them out of the session and then coming back in - fixed it for them.
A second person just now on a macbook pro only saw the shared video once in about 10 tests. The rest of the time, he got just the thumbnail + play button. Nothing he did (refreshes / leaving the session and coming back in) would help. Neither did removing the stream and adding it back in. (he wasn’t doing that - I was !)

I’m wondering what the best way is to figure out what is going on? Our use revolves around the stream (which we are using for higher quality reviews of video + sound).

I’m happy to do some tests with others to see if there’s a way we can get a repro, and maybe capture some console errors? I just wish one of my three personal machines was able to show the error. They’re all working perfectly fine, all the time.

Is anyone else experiencing problems?

(This is on a self hosted instance on a beefy bare metal server which isn’t currently doing much else!)

1 Like

Hi, I am also facing the exact same problem. I am hosting co-watching TED talk sessions and some participants aren’t able to see the screen and only see the frozen youtube thumnbail.

I was wondering if you’ve figured out a way around the same? Let me know!

I have not been able to solve this issue, and it is stopping us from using jitsi for the moment.
There maybe others who can chime in with their experiences. I would LOVE a solution.

Does it work if you enable prejoin screen?

2 Likes

I will go back to my notes and double check. I remember trying a bunch of things and couldn’t ever get a solid repro.
We ended up retiring the server since we couldn’t get it to work well enough - but if you think there is a good chance of finding a solution, I’ll lease the server again, re-install jitsi and give it all another go.

[Edit : Just looking at some of the notes - the really tricky bit was that the behaviour really did appear random. There was someone in the UK I was testing with that never saw the youtube video / only saw the thumbnail - even when three others in the meeting could view it ok, and even seemed to be running the same version of chrome / similar computer (macbook pro with same os, 10.14)

Unfortunately I don’t seem to have notes on using the pre-join screen at all.

Do you think this is worth me testing?]

Maybe this will help:

Thanks @corby.
I know we did have the prejoin feature on at some stage (I remember messing around with it when it landed) - but I unfortunately did not keep notes about its use / if that effected the issue at hand (non-starting you-tube window). I will most likely need to go back and test again - which really is no problem. :slight_smile: I’m happy to have something to try at least.

So this behaviour depends whether there is a user guesture in the page before trying to play the video. So it may happen that just clicking on the link from an email where the youtube video is already playing and that will not start as there was no user guesture on the page. Where pre-join forces the user interaction with the page in order to join the room.
You inconsistent tests from users I think are because of different user behaviour around the clicking in the page.

1 Like

I have found this solution somewhere on the internet. Has anyone tried it?

This comment: PS There’s an easy fix: Append &widget_referer=[yourdomain] to the youtube URL to be shared; doesn’t seem to work for people who enter the room afterwards though

Here’s where it is mentioned:

Apparently this is also happening in case if it is embedded. In my case too it is embedded:

Oh this is really interesting information - and provides a great basis to do a bunch of tests.
I’ll prob unfortunately not get to it within the next two weeks, but I will try - this definitely could allow us to restart our project using Jitsi (which was otherwise abandoned 3 months ago)

And @Harshala_Chavan I’ll look at that as well. However, we are not embedding within an iframe.

oh ok, so in case even if it’s not embedded it’s not working. Anyway, do let us know in the forum when you do the tests and see if adding changes mentioned in YouTube URL works. Else I think screen sharing with audio is the way to go with co-watching :stuck_out_tongue:

No - screen sharing with audio is definitely not the way to go. We are using the youtube feature to stream our workplace - and the main reason for using it is the low latency it provides, and the ability to provide very high quality audio (we’ve tested with 512kbps AAC which seems to work well)

Different people need different features for very different workflows :slight_smile:

I’ve found that enabling the lobby function seems to fix this issue after participants refresh when the video is not playing for them.

With lobby, people go through the pre-join screen.

1 Like

Copy that. Thank You for the info!