Several install attempts and still cant get letsencrypt to work

Hey gang… I am trying to build a Jitsi server and becsue of the number of failed attempts I have switched to running it on esxi for my sanity’s sake…

I have been trying following the quick install procedure and everything seems ok up until the lets encrypt portion of the install… and it fails on "Timeout during connect (likely firewall problem)

I have built on bare metal and VM both with Ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04.
I have tried with IPv6 on and off assuming it was causing a conflict…
I have confirmed my domain name jives and properly directs to the IP.
But it’s just not working?!
What am I doing wrong? any and all help would be appreciated… the guys over here would love to play around with it but I cant get it working… I’m almost embarrassed to have mentioned it to them.

One thing I might note… when I do open the http site I am redirected to https and the site does load (albeit with a red SSL alert)… I can define a meeting and it will drop me in displaying my local camera view… however no other participant are visible ??
Thanks for the direction, I’m a little out of my element.

Jon

Are ports 80 and 443 forwarded/open to that machine?

Actually, right now there are no firewall restrictions on the machine…
it’s basically wide open waiting to be molested by some script kiddies.

Nice to meet you Damian… I thank you and appreciate your input.

UPDATE:

I’m waiting for a callback from our account rep at the ISP that provides the pipe that this project is running on.
we have several links and this one is running on a Cable modem that should be wide open , however when I scanned the IP of this server externally I see many blocked ports… 80 being one of them… Strange that I was able see the nginx default page (when I installed it manually during one of my many attempts…)

I’ll check back with you guys when I have an update to this saga.

OK… All good…
The ISP had some blocked ports enabled…
Thanks for the help.
I’m sure I’ll have more questions moving forward… I’m about to start poking around with the Desktop sharing integration, SIP, and landing page customization’s.