Setting up meeting with password - user perspective

apologies, but I a am completely new to this and am coming at it from a users view with no servers, coding ability or anything like that.

I am trying to set up a jitsi meeting plain and uncomplicated, but want to do two things with it.

Set it up so that someone can join at a particular time and date (if possible and without being complicated e.g. coding!).
Set a password to protect entry.

I have copied and pasted the url for the meeting and can enter it immediately, but there is no password even though I have entered it using the shield in the bottom right hand corner. There appears only to be a removed and copy option rather than save password option.

When I use the url to go back to the meeting, having left, it doesn’t ask for a password?

What am I doing wrong?

This is just for a simple video meeting with me and another person.

thanks you

Welcome to the forum!

So Jitsi works a little differently from other solutions you may be familiar with. Because the whole idea driving Jitsi is privacy, Jitsi does not collect any user information and hence, there’s no user data permanence. In line with this, rooms don’t exist until they are created AND entered and rooms are immediately destroyed once the last person leaves. What this means to you is that if you’re the only one in a room and you set a password then leave the room, that room is immediately destroyed. There has to be at least one person in the room for the room to continue to exist and for the password to be relevant.

So, what you want to do is start the meeting whenever you’re ready (use a unique meeting name that no one can easily guess), set the password in the room and invite the other person with a link to the meeting and the password (while you wait in there for them). And that’s it! :smiley_cat:

Dear Freddie

Thank you for your help on this.

The other thing I had wanted to know, is can I set up a meeting with a specific date and time in advance with a password, or do I need some sort of software or subscription for this.

Thank you so much for your help so far.

Stuart