Services don't start automatically?

When I boot up my server and go to my Jitsi installation, it’s not authenticating (I have it provisioned for secure domain) and it goes into a ‘rejoining’ loop UNTIL I restart all services. Is this an error on my installation or is this just general knowledge and how it works? My expectation is that everything should just work once I boot up the server. Did I miss some configuration somewhere?

Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Which service does not start on boot: prosody, jicofo or jvb?

My suspicion is prosody (because the authentication pop-up doesn’t show up). I usually just restart all 3 of them to get going.

In order to fix something you need to first find which one causes the problem.

That goes without saying. But you would first need to know if it’s something to be fixed. I wasn’t sure if this was expected behavior, hence my question. And I checked before responding, but it didn’t happen on boot this time, so it seems to be a sporadic thing. I guess I can conclude it’s not supposed to happen then. I’ll try restarting one service at a time next time it happens to narrow it down.

Just check whether processes are there when you boot. Well it may happen, we got jvb fixed recently for such an issue, but we do not notice those as we never reboot the servers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, thanks… will do. Weirdly enough, since I posted, I’ve been unable to recreate the problem :flushed:; everything has been auto-starting on boot. I guess Jitsi-meet is trying to make a liar out of me. :joy: I’ll check on boot in a while. I only boot the server when I want to host a meeting or do some work on Jitsi and I power it down right after - trying to save on electricity costs… lol

that is not expected startup sequence to enter a rejoining loop…but what are you running on, how did you install? I second damencho-check what services are running and depending on what it is installed on you can check the services startup command.

@supportteam15 I used the Quick install guide for Jitsi-meet. I started everything fresh on a bare metal server - installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, then used the Quick Install guide to install Jitsi (with some modifications to allow for LetsEncrypt). I then enabled Secure Domain. Everything works fine (save for a Cloudflare-related issue that’s still unresolved), but I noticed that a number of times, when I boot up the server and go to my Jitsi application, I don’t get the authentication prompt (which lets me know that something is not running) and a few seconds later, I get a “rejoining…” loop. Restarting all services using “systemctl restart jitsi-videobridge2 prosody jicofo” fixes it. But I wasn’t sure if this is what’s supposed to happen on boot - manually start services, hence my ask.

Per demencho’s advise, I’m going to note what services run on auto next time I boot (although, for some good-weird reason, I haven’t had the same issue since I posted - and I’ve tried booting like 4 times… lol).

Thanks for your contribution. I’ll report back soon.

something is getting confused IMO just disable all services and do a manual start when you reboot?

maybe something persistent related to cloudflare as well

I doubt that would pinpoint the problem, since the issue is that some service(s) doesn’t(don’t) start on boot. The real plan would be to find out which service(s). Once the service(s) is/are identified, then I can work on figuring out why.

Cloudlfare is turned off for now (Jitsi won’t even work with Cloudflare turned on for me). So I know it’s not Cloudflare related.

yea I wouldn’t even know if I have that problem since I configured to manually start nginx after any and all reboot.

Aaaah I see. Why did you do that though, @supportteam15 ? You have some peculiar specifics in your setup?

@damencho just checked. All 3 processes are running (but again, everything started automatically on boot this time). I’ll keep an eye out if I run into the issue again.

jvb 875 1.0 1.3 8125604 215480 ? Ssl 03:42 0:44 java -Xmx3072m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -X

prosody 880 0.1 0.1 33052 26724 ? Ss 03:42 0:05 lua5.2 /usr/bin/prosody -F

jicofo 923 0.5 1.1 9254980 185308 ? Sl 03:42 0:23 java -Xmx3072m -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath=/tmp -Djd

@damencho okay, it finally happened again. I checked all running services and like I suspected, prosody was the culprit - it did not auto-start on boot.

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.36.13 AM

Jicofo and jvb started up just fine.

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.38.02 AM

There was nothing in the log for prosody (expectedly, since the service just didn’t start).

Any idea what could be going on?

Sorry no idea, maybe check logs … Look for similar case or ask on their mailing list about this.

Try

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl enable prosody

Okay, thanks