Self-Hosted Jitsi Meet - Issue with audio output

Hello.

We’re having trouble with our self-hosted Jitsi installation where the some users can not hear other users (they are able to see them, usually). They are able to see the blue dots next to the thumbnail flashing when others speak, which leads me to think the audio is successfully received but having troubles with output.

No logs (jvb, jicofo, prosody) display errors.

My findings so far are as follows.

I can’t receive audio when I’m using Chrome on my Windows laptop, while my Android phone is working perfectly on the other side.

I can’t receive audio when I’m using Chrome on my Windows laptop, while two different MacBooks worked perfectly on the other side.

My chrome version is 91.0.4472.101.

I can receive and transmit without issue when I use Edge, Firefox or even Opera instead.

Disabling and/or enabling p2p did not help.

Disabling and/or enabling audio processing stuff didn’t help

What did help was adding config.startAudioOnly=true to the URL which solved the audio issue, then I could turn my camera on. While that worked, I think it’s causing the video quality to plummet.

I’d be happy to give out additional info upon request. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am also facing the same issue. Can anyone please give some light on it please. My jitsi meet version is as follows:

ii jitsi-meet 2.0.5870-1 all WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii jitsi-meet-prosody 1.0.4985-1 all Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii jitsi-meet-turnserver 1.0.4985-1 all Configures coturn to be used with Jitsi Meet
ii jitsi-meet-web 1.0.4985-1 all WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.4985-1 all Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
ii jitsi-videobridge2 2.1-492-g5edaf7dd-1 all WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)

Thanks,

This reminds me of a a similar issue that we’ve been trying to catch for a while now where the audio element does not autoplay: when a remote user talks, her audio is being received but it is not played back! When the issue happens again, would it be possible to open the JS console, find the audio element id for the user that is not audible and execute its play function like this:

$('#remoteAudio_32250d76-869d-402b-a13c-8e6d0443464d-1')[0].play()

The audio element should be nested in the users remote thumbnail div element.

But that cannot be a solution. I did not even find out why it is happening in this version. Though it was working perfectly on previous version.

You are correct, that’s obviously not a solution, I was just trying to find the root cause.

Strangely, the issue fixed itself upon clearing Chrome cache.