Thanks Franky1. Just ran into this problem as well on 20.04
You are a life-saver to me as well! It worked for me.
Should be careful on the bleeding edge new 20.04 release. I learned my lesson this time.
Actually I was not exactly looking to solve this issue since desktop browsers all worked ok.
I had the problem that iPhone app complained about “You have been disconnected. Please check your network connection.” Or “Reconnecting in 15 seconds…” I got the hint from Safari browser access page and had the chance to see the certificate complaint that the certificate is no-good or expired. That was unexpected and that was the reason I found myself here.
Guess what, I got rid of the " python-virtualenv" problem and ALSO got the iphone app to work alright!
There were some threads about the iPhone/Android issues and I bet some of them are related to this. Especially when mysteriously things stopped working for no good reason. Their /etc/cron.weekly/letsenscrypt-renew should be manually tested. That might have failed when the cert expired, and mystery cannot be explained.
For all the impatient Ubuntu 20.04 users, here is a good step by step guide that also covers the issues about certbot:
In Ubuntu 20.04, apt / apt-get installs certbot in
/usr/bin/. The script
install-letsencrypt-cert.sh expects certbot to be at
/usr/sbin. I did a symbolic link to solve this issue
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/certbot /usr/sbin/certbot.
Hope this is of help.
This worked for me. Thanks!
I met this issue today and I found a simple solution for Ubuntu 20.04. The solution is
don’t use certbot-auto and just use the certbot version that is installed by apt.
for example, you are originally running this command
./certbot-auto certonly --manual -d *.shukebeta.live -d shukebeta.live --preferred-challenges dns-01 --server https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory
change it to
sudo certbot certonly --manual -d *.shukebeta.live -d shukebeta.live --preferred-challenges dns-01 --server https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory
It works for me. Hope it can help the others.
Just an addition: you might need to change the occurrences of ./certbot in the script to certbot and disable wget certbot_auto script lines at the beginning of the script.