Screen share quality in the end of 2021

Hello. When we share screen with a lot of text (like code samples) the fonts often got pixelized and blured.
We have huge bandwidth and Zoom runs like a charm. I’ve been tring to find solution for 2 years and nothig works.
I’ve updated to a recent versions but it is still poor. May be there is something new about screen sharing in 2021?

Is this on meet.jit.si or your own deployment?

Which versions are you using?

Share your config.js

jitsi-meet-prosody/stable,now 1.0.5307-1 all [installed,automatic]
jitsi-meet-tokens/stable,now 1.0.5307-1 all [installed]
jitsi-meet-turnserver/stable,now 1.0.5307-1 all [installed,automatic]
jitsi-meet-web-config/stable,now 1.0.5307-1 all [installed,automatic]
jitsi-meet-web/stable,now 1.0.5307-1 all [installed,automatic]
jitsi-meet/stable,now 2.0.6293-1 all [installed]
jitsi-videobridge2/stable,now 2.1-551-g2ad6eb0b-1 all [installed,automatic]
prosody/now 0.11.9-1~bionic1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 0.11.10-1~focal1]

You meen /usr/share/jitsi-meet-web-config/config.js ?
I noticed all domains inside are like default “jitsi-meet.example.com” Is it normal? %)
Oct 06 3:18 PM - Codeshare

No, /etc/jitsi/meet/your.domain.com-config.js

Thx. Changed Oct 06 3:18 PM - Codeshare

Can you test on meet.jit.si to see if the experience is different?

it is the same on meet.jit.si

What is your available bandwidth? Are you testing in p2p mode or there are more than 2 participants?
What browser and version are you using?
Thanks.

I’ve just started 2 sessions in Firefox and Chrome. They are of the latest versions I guess. And I have 100mbps in Moscow. This happens while scrolling. And it takes 2-3 seconds to recover. My server gives a bit better performance. May be because it’s closer. But Zoom screen sharing is usualy smooth as watching own screen.

Which browser is the one sharing?
Have you tried between two Chrome instances, do you see a difference?
Having a p2p call on the same machine, the media is going directly between the browsers, so there is nothing on their way.

@Korobox Can you please share some more details ? What browser is the user sharing the screen on ? Firefox or Chrome ? Also what is the resolution of the screen you are sharing and what is the resolution of the screen you are watching the share on. If there is a lot of text and the image has to be downscaled to fit on a smaller screen, the text will not be legible. For example, you are capturing the desktop from an external monitor at 1080p and observing the share on a low resolution screen, it will appear blurry especially if there is lot of text.
Also comparing with Zoom is not an apples to apples comparison. Zoom is a native app whereas Jitsi is a WebRTC based application. Do you see the same behavior on Google meet ?

1 Like

:+1:t5: :+1:t5: :+1:t5:

@Korobox I couldn’t replicate your finding on meet.jit.si or on my own deployment. Here are screenshots of a similar screenshare on meet.jit.si

Chrome-to-Chrome Stage View

Chrome-to-Chrome Tile View

Chrome to Firefox Stage View

To rule that out, I scrolled and recorded. You can view the recording - WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

I’ve tried Firefox->Chrome and vice versa. Just two browsers and text windows to share.
It gets blured while scrolling text and it’s getting worse over time.
You have better quality in your video.
I tested my connection with Speedtest to HessenKom (Frankfurt) and Deutsche Telekom (Berlin) and it is 80- 90mpbs both ways. But I have a yellow warning in Jitsi about my connection.

Capture

My screen is 2k. But users with FHD screens experience similar problems on our internal Jitsi server.
And exact same problem was with some other conference servers that used WebRTC.

What is p2p mode? I started a new room and copied URL to another browser.
In our daily meeting we connect from RocketChat using call button.

i means Point-To-Point. The underlying technology to Jitsi-meet, WebRTC, was originally intended for direct communication between user devices. A server like Jitsi-meet uses only P2P marginally, when only 2 users are exchanging in a room.
Note that in some cases P2P can’t work (as it’s very complex really when NAT enter in the scenario), then Jitsi-meet switches automatically to server exchanges even when there are only 2 workstations.

That may be the case for you (I’d expect it for a connection between browsers on a single compiuter), since your connection is clearly with a meet.jit.si server (the 158.101.190.85 IP address for ‘eu-central-1’ server) and it’s not of very high quality: total upload+download < 1 Mbits while your resolution means 2.5 Mbits/s. Your blurring evocates a progressive display, when bandwidth is low, it leads to crappy images that are becoming better a few seconds later. Take care to keep the screensharing refreshing rate to the minimum (5/s)