Scalable installation: shard vs shard-1?

When using a scalable installation with multiple videobridges, should the videobridges’ sip-communicator.properties set org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard-1, or just org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard?

I ask because the Debian package sets shard, but the example config sets shard-1. I am using shard on each of my videobridges, which seems to work fine, but I’ve only done some very basic testing.

If shard-1 is required, does each videobridge need a different shard number? Like one being shard-1, another being shard-2, etc.

Thanks!

The idea is that if you want the JVB to connect to more than one shard, you change this “shard” string to something else in the next configuration block that will be used to connect to the 2nd, 3rd, etc. shard.

You can have a second shard with its own videobridges, but you can also make all the videobridges connect to all shards, not only their “own”.

That makes sense, thanks! I’ll continue to connect all of my JVBs to the same shard, then.

Dear Yasen,
According to what you wrote, JVBs can now connect to all shards (all jicofos) instead of only one with the xmpp protocol ?
Would you please send me a sample jvb config with several blocks for several shards ? I think then we can make use the JVBs efficiently.
Many thanks

something like:

org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.HOSTNAME=hostname-or-IP
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.DOMAIN=auth.meet1.example.com
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.USERNAME=jvb
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.PASSWORD=jvbpassword
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.MUC_JIDS=JvbBrewery@internal.auth.meet1.example.com
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shard.MUC_NICKNAME=myjvb

org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shardTwo.HOSTNAME=some-other-hostname-or-IP
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shardTwo.DOMAIN=auth.meet2.example.com
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shardTwo.USERNAME=jvb
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shardTwo.PASSWORD=anotherjvbpass
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shardTwo.MUC_JIDS=JvbBrewery@internal.auth.meet2.example.com
org.jitsi.videobridge.xmpp.user.shardTwo.MUC_NICKNAME=myjvb

but this is not from a live system, I just made it up, adapt it to fit your needs

Thank you very much Yasen. I will try them out

Dear Yasen,
The sip-communicator.properties is the only one file I have to configure isn,t ? The term ‘shard’ and ‘shardTwo’ should appear elsewhere for instance in the config.js of the meet or in the config of the jvb ?
Many thank for your help

Only in JVB properties, yes. It’s a way to differentiate the different shards in the same config file. And you can call these however you want.