SASLError using SCRAM-SHA-1: not-authorized - Not able to start jitsi meet

Hi,
I have been trying to get a new instance of jitsi meet to work since last 2 days but it is not working.
Jicofo log is showing this error:

Jicofo 2022-02-19 12:06:02.062 INFO: [308] [xmpp_connection=client] XmppProviderImpl.doConnect#206: Connected, JID=null
Jicofo 2022-02-19 12:06:02.094 SEVERE: [308] [xmpp_connection=client] XmppProviderImpl.doConnect#225: Failed to connect/login: SASLError using SCRAM-SHA-1: not-authorized
org.jivesoftware.smack.sasl.SASLErrorException: SASLError using SCRAM-SHA-1: not-authorized
at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticationFailed(SASLAuthentication.java:286)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.lambda$new$2(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:407)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonzaCallback$ClassAndConsumer.accept(NonzaCallback.java:177)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonzaCallback$ClassAndConsumer.access$200(NonzaCallback.java:166)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonzaCallback.onNonzaReceived(NonzaCallback.java:46)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.parseAndProcessNonza(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:1447)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$1700(XMPPTCPConnection.java:130)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1007)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$700(XMPPTCPConnection.java:913)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:936)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)
Jicofo 2022-02-19 12:06:07.106 INFO: [98] [xmpp_connection=client] XmppProviderImpl.doConnect#206: Connected, JID=null

Can someone please help how to fix this?

Thanks,
Bhuvana

Check your configs; you have a wrong password for one of the components.

Does the password for focus user in jicofo sip properties need to be same as jvb user?
Can you please help me with the config where I need to check this?

No, jicofo and jvb don’t share the same password. You need to make sure the password for focus user in prosody config matches what’s in jicofo config.

I registered focus user in prosody using the command:
prosodyctl register focus with the password from jicofo config.

Now the error in jicofo log is gone. But now the error is showing in jvb log.

JVB 2022-02-19 12:55:18.760 WARNING: [22] [hostname=localhost id=shard] MucClient.lambda$getConnectAndLoginCallable$7#642: Failed to login. Disconnecting to trigger a re-connect.
org.jivesoftware.smack.sasl.SASLErrorException: SASLError using SCRAM-SHA-1: not-authorized
at org.jivesoftware.smack.SASLAuthentication.authenticationFailed(SASLAuthentication.java:286)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.lambda$new$2(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:407)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonzaCallback$ClassAndConsumer.accept(NonzaCallback.java:177)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonzaCallback$ClassAndConsumer.access$200(NonzaCallback.java:166)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.NonzaCallback.onNonzaReceived(NonzaCallback.java:46)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.parseAndProcessNonza(AbstractXMPPConnection.java:1447)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection.access$1700(XMPPTCPConnection.java:130)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1007)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$700(XMPPTCPConnection.java:913)
at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:936)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)

Are you doing a manual install?

So, confirm your JVB password matches

No. I did not do a manual install.
I installed using hajowieland terraform script.

Can you please tell me JVB password has to match with which user? does it need to have the same password as focus user?

No. Like I said earlier, JVB and Jicofo don’t share passwords. JVB has its own password. Check in JVB config.

Hey Freddie,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I spent last 2 days trying to find a solution by myself by going through so many different posts at the forum here. But I could not find anything specific for the issue I am facing.
I tried executing suggestions that I found relevant. However it did not fix the problem.

I’m really not a fan of unofficial scripts, unless they’re from developers who’re readily available and actively providing support for their script. Reason being that it’s no telling what they packaged and the environment they target.

In your case, the error you’ve reported has to do with a password-mismatch. The link I posted shows you where all your config files are located; you can find the appropriate configs and compare to correct the mismatch.

This issue is resolved.
Thanks.

How did you solve it?
I am facing this error:
MucClient.lambda$getConnectAndLoginCallable$7#630: Error connecting…

failed because: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)