Same user is posing as multiple users in chat

Hello,

There’s a weird issue I have been facing in not just my jitsi docker setup but also in meet.jit.si.

So suppose there’s a meeting going on with n number of people. User x has currently joined and messages something in the chat window.

Now user x closes the tab where has joined the meeting and after closing, user x opens a new tab and join the same meeting agian.

Now what happens is, when user x checks all the messages in the chat window, he/she finds out that the message user x recently sent is from the other side.

This behavior is definitely weird because what if someone accidentally closes the meeting tab and join again? They would find that the messages they sent are now from the other side.

I don’t know if it’s intentional or unintentional behavior but it’s weird.

I would like to know if there’s any way to change this behavior so user x can still see the messages he sent on his/her side.

Thank you.

Calling some great people to help: @damencho @teutat3s @elbow

The connection by default uses anonymous login, so the user is different every time it reconnects. You cannot match messages from xmpp jid X to xmpp jid Y, that’s the reason.
If you are using username/password authentication and the jid is the same, this shouldn’t be happening and this is a bug.