Same Jitsi-Meet instance with multiple domain names

For Apache(/Docker) it just became even simpler:
Make sure each virtualhost has ProxyPreserveHost On and leave PUBLIC_URL unset.

coming back to Jitsi on nginx and docker. I would like to support 2 domain names with the same instance of the Jitsi installation. Following the instructions on golem.de I only edited the .env file:
ENABLE_LETSENCRYPT=1
LETSENCRYPT_DOMAIN=my.domain.com
LETSENCRYPT_EMAIL=myemail@example.com

does this kind of setup support multiple domains? if so, how?
Will the letsencrypt certificates update automatically for multiple domains?

I created for each lobby N a separate /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/lobbyN.domain.com.conf
with each given server_name lobbyN.domain.com; and proxy_set_header Host lobbyN.domain.com;

and for each lobby a separate /etc/jitsi/meet//lobbyN.domain.com-config.js with

bosh: '//<!--# echo var="http_host" -->/<!--# echo var="subdir" default="" -->http-bind',

Now when I enter the same room name from each lobby, I meet the same people there. Is there an easy way to make sure that people from different lobbies do not meet?

@damencho, I am a little confused about your instructions
So if i have jitsimeet.abc123.com as the primary and its’a all working with the cert for jitsimeet.abc123.com, What file do I need to modify and/or create to the second domain jitsimeet.xyz123.com to work?

Would I need to modify /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/jitstimeet.abc123.com.conf and copy /etc/jitsi/meet/jitstimeet.abc123.com-config.js to jitstimeet.xyz123.com-config.js and change all the parameters with jitstimeet.abc123.com value to jitstimeet.xyz123.com ?

Thank you in advance.

Did anyone really got this to work? I can’t seem to and there are so many suggestions all over the place none seems to work.

Looks like here are some details available that might help you.

Even I am facing the same challenge, so I am also going thru the thread. Hope this helps you as well.

Many Thanks,
Rav

Thanks raviktiwari, I finally figured it out and got it working

I was able to fix my system after your message :+1:

Glad to see people healping each other out everyone is being able to run and use their own server/application.

Let us make this forum even better by sharing what we know - you never know your small tip&trick can help someone wrap up their weeks of headache. :slight_smile:

Many Thanks,
Rav

Hi @probie,

Did you install/configure Jitsi for multi-domain like: meet.abc.com and meet.xyz.com on same server or was it for only 1 domain on one server?

I need some massive help and need it pretty quickly to install multiple instances on 1 server and so you can imagine I cannot edit /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname as it will mess up my rDNS etc.

Any idea how I can proceed?

Many Thanks,
Rav

Yes, I got it working just like what you mentioned. Let me get back to you tomorrow morning (Wednesday PST timezone).

Did you resolve problem?
I have same screen on my Domain2(

Hi Raviktiwari, below are the steps that i compiles and took. This is based on default install w/NGINX and not Apache.

1.copy first instance of NGINX config file (primary domain) to the second domain
2.enable the second domain (or sites) example in this case meet.xyz.com.conf
3.edit the secondary domain(or site) and comment out “server_names_hash_bucket_size 64;” if it exist becuz it already exist on the primary config as default. If it doesn’t exist, the no worries
4.change “server_name” to new domain —> example server_name meet.xyz.com;
5.change certificate and key and point it to the location of the cert/key of the second domain(or site)
6.change the “proxy_set_header host $http_host;” under # BOSH to “proxy_set_header Host meet.abc.com;”
7./etc/jitsi/meet/meet.abc.com-config.js and change the below
8.change “bosh: ‘//meet.abc.com/http-bind’,” to “bosh: ‘///http-bind’,”
9.restart all services and test

3 Likes

For some reason, step 8 does’t format correctly when I copy and paste.but it should look like this for step 8

Hi there, I have related problem , this seems now work for me (How to configure Multidomain support for Jitsi Meet Docker ? (Behind CDN))

Thanks @probie but I am using Apache so your help does not help me as such, but I will see if I can get some hint from here.

However, if you have any code, link or suggestion on Apache, can you pls share it with me.

Thx: Rav

1 Like

Hi,

I am newbie to jitsi-meet
Can you please guide me regarding jitsi , i am trying to setup a video server.

I have installed and configured jitsi-meet and now i want to connect my android phone with this server but i am unable to do it.

Initially, i installed server and provided hostname as my IP address but it does not generate certificates with letsencrypt.sh script run at the end of installation. Then, i tried with dummy DNS name since i dont have any but still same issue.

With IP as hostname , i can conduct a conference using Desktop and URL provided in the browser but cannot do the same with android phone.

I have read somewhere that jitsi-meet does not generate ssl certificate with letsencrypt.sh script for IP address as domain name.
I do not have any valid domain name, any alternate or any solution for this?
Can you please help me in this regard?

any word will be highly appreciated

hello , i have been trying for quite a long time in setting up jitsi-meet instance with multiple domain names one local ip without any domain name + one public ip with domain name meet.example.com on ubuntu 20.04 lts , but without any success. i am thinking of downgrading to ubuntu 18.04 and try to install it gain. could you, please suggest what configurations needs to be changed.
thanks in advance

I had some trouble… but I figured it out…hope that helps somebody in the future…:wink:

For anybody, who wants to change the whole Domain name for that instance… e.g. if you have a preconfigured VM and using an own ssl Cert using Debian 10 and Apache2
This even works with JWT-Authentication

In my case… I had a Wildcard Domain Cert… as Windows pfx

Create on Windows using open ssl the following 4 certs…

“C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win64\bin\openssl” pkcs12 -in d:\mydomain.com.pfx -nocerts -out d:\mydomain.comkey.pem

“C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win64\bin\openssl” pkcs12 -in d:\mydomain.com.pfx -clcerts -nokeys -out d:\mydomain.comcert.pem

“C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win64\bin\openssl” rsa -in d:\mydomain.comkey.pem -out d:\mydomain.comkey.key

“C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win64\bin\openssl” pkcs12 -in d:\mydomain.com.pfx -clcerts -nokeys -out d:\mydomain.comcert.crt

Create a new Directory e.g. /etc/mycerts

Copy these 4 filse into the newly created folder

Change path and filenames in your /etc/prosody/conf.avail/MYJITSIDOMAIN.cfg.lua
ssl={
path/to new key;
path to new crt
}

Change path and filenames in your /etc/apache2/sites-available/MYJITSIDOMAIN.conf
SSLCERTIFICATEFILE … /etc/mycerts/cert.pem
SSLCERTIFICATEKEYFILE etc/mycerts/cert.key

Change bosh setting in your /etc/jitsi/meet/MYJITSIDOMAIN-config.js
from
bosh: ‘//myoldjitisdomain.com/htttp-bind’,
to
bosh: ‘//myNEWjjitisdomain.com/htttp-bind’,

restart
jicofo, videobridge2, prosody, apache2

Thats it

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH! Been trying for hours! Just a quick note to anyone else looking up this solution. You need to remove the two Asterisks symbols before and after ’ in the /etc/jitsi/meet/server.example.local-config.js file or you will just get a grey screen.

so your file should look like this:
// BOSH URL. FIXME: use XEP-0156 to discover it.
bosh: '//<!--# echo var="http_host" -->/<!--# echo var="subdir" default="" -->http-bind',

Thanks so much Chris.d you are a saint.

1 Like