Safari microphone dropdown bug

We are experiencing this bug on Safari across multiple users & devices:

Within Jitsi, if I open the microphone device dropdown from the microphone symbol, the minute I open it (without making any device selections), my microphone cuts out and other attendees can’t hear me.

From there, I there are two actions that I’ve found which get my microphone to start working again:

1. I can actively. re-select my microphone device from the dropdown (actually clicking on the device instead of just closing the dropdown menu)
  2. Strangely, going into the settings (3 dots → Settings) and opening the microphone device dropdown from there (without making any device selections) gets my microphone to start working again

The above has been reproducible every time I’ve tried it.

@jallamsetty tagging you per our discussion on the Jitsi community call this morning.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated!

Thanks for the report @Shmoop, we knew this was happening on Safari on iOS because of this webkit bug - 179363 – iOS calling getUserMedia() again kills video display of first getUserMedia(). A second call to getUserMedia (which we do to get a preview of the stream for checking audio levels) kills the audio thats being sent out on the connection.
This issue was never reported on desktop Safari though. I am assuming its a regression on webkit. Can you please add info about the browser/macOS version that you are seeing this issue on ?

@jallamsetty see below. This is one of the desktop systems, we experienced the same bug on 3 different Mac desktops.

macOS Big Sur, version 11.1
Safari version 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.4)

I am not able to reproduce this issue on Safari 14.0.2 and STP 118 (14.1) on my macbook that is running macOS 10.15.7. This could be a Big Sur specific webkit bug. Unfortunately I cannot open a webkit bug until I can get a good repro case.

@jallamsetty want to borrow one of our laptops? Can get it to you if you’re located in the Bay Area. Feel free to DM me

Nope, I am not in the Bay Area. Are you seeing this on meet.jit.si ? We stopped creating audio tracks when we open the mic dropdown menu on Safari so ideally this shouldn’t be happening there.

Yes, on meet.jit.si

Hiii

Thanks for sharing this content. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same issue.
Thanks again

OneVanilla

@Shmoop I upgraded my macbook to Big Sur 11.2.1 and I am unable to reproduce the issue on Safari 14.0.3 (16610.4.3.1.4).
Will you be able to capture a screenshot of the mic dropdown on the machine where you are able to reproduce this issue on meet.jit.si ?