Remove 'Remove password' option?

I’m new to jitsi meet and using the shared server meet.jit.si. I want to be able to set up a conference in advance, issue a password and be reasonably confident that I can go ahead and meet - with just those people I want to meet with. But:

1. As far as I can see, I need to make the text in the URL after the domain sufficiently obscure that no one else will think of using it
  2. I can set a password when I share the link, but then anyone else who joins can remove it!
  3. Plus they can kick anyone out whether I like it or not.

I can make a suitable choice in (1). But am I missing something with (2) or can I prevent that happening? And (3)?

Many thanks,

Tim

1 Like

I have EXACTLY the same questions… seems wacky. I’d love to know if you found an answer or if you moved on.

You can’t. meet.jit.si has been thought out as a tool for showing off the capabilities of the software by providing it as a free service for meeting between friends or collaborators. If some people can be adversarial, it does not work. Do not invite them.

Well that rather unrealistic view poses at least two questions doesn’t it?

1. What is the point in showing off the capabilities of the software with something that is inherently unsafe?

2. How do you know someone is going to be adversarial before they are adversarial? It only needs someone to acidentally see an invite on someone else’s device and they are potentially an antagonistic interloper.

I was hoping to use Jitsi to run some informal gatherings but this weird feature makes it completely non-viable and just as prone to bombing as Zoom. if the moderator sets a password no one should be able to unset or remove it. Anyone in the room prior to setting a password (i.e. they entered without having to use a password, whether by chance or intent) should be kicked out automatically as soon as the moderator sets a password. All those who enter using the correct password should be able to stay if the moderator changes the password during the meeting. This reduces the chances of adversarial late entry by someone who has obtained the password.

Right now I am not sure that Jitsi is for me, it’s easier to use Skype.

If you run your own instance, you can easily control who is a moderator, and thus who is able to set or unset passwords.

At meet.jit.si, everyone joins as a moderator.

Does this mean if I run an instance with authentication enabled, only the moderator will be able to change the (possibly active) password?

Correct.

That’s the default behaviour for ‘secure mode’, authenticated users (who have to login with a name and a password) are moderators, unauthenticated users (who have only to know the meeting name) are not. Secure mode is relatively simple to setup and gives a good amount of control.

I’m afraid that I have an entirely different point of view of what is ‘realism’ so it’s better to end on ‘agree to disagree’.

Well, good luck with that…

So, Neil_Brown, are you saying that anyone can originate a closed meeting (by virtue of a password needed to enter), but anyone in the meeting can throw the doors open (by virtue of removing the password) and moreover, kick the originator out and set a new password to prevent the originator re-entering? It’s a prescription for anarchy, isn’t it? As a previous contributor said, it’s wacky. As for setting up my own instance, well… I just wanted to keep things simple. :confused:

On meet.jit.si, yes, that’s correct.

Hi, I´m a user and I want to be the only one able to change the password; what do you mean with “run your own instance”?