Reinstall issue - prosody

Greetings. I had a hostname change, so I tried to reinstall a working version of Jitsi. I just followed the self hosting guide, and uninstalled, then reinstalled. My issue is if two users join a room, it’s as if the other person didn’t join. They both see “You are the only one in the meeting”.

I think the issue is prosody, but prosody isn’t logging anything to /var/log/prosody. When I start prosody, and then run status, it says its not running. ps -ef shows that it actually is running.

n2qv@LAPTOP-J1J4964S:/var/log/prosody$ sudo /etc/init.d/prosody status
 * Status of Prosody XMPP Server prosody                                                                                 *  is not running
n2qv@LAPTOP-J1J4964S:/var/log/prosody$ ps -ef | grep prosody
prosody  10420     1  0 15:16 ?        00:00:00 lua5.2 /usr/bin/prosody
n2qv     11051     8  0 15:27 tty1     00:00:00 grep --color=auto prosody
n2qv@LAPTOP-J1J4964S:/var/log/prosody$ ls -la
total 0
drwxr-x--- 1 prosody adm    4096 Nov  1 02:51 .
drwxrwxr-x 1 root    syslog 4096 Nov  1 01:23 ..
n2qv@LAPTOP-J1J4964S:/var/log/prosody$

jvb.log:

2021-11-02 15:19:32.879 WARNING: [53131] [hostname=localhost id=shard] MucClient$1.connectionClosedOnError#317: Closed on error:
org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$StreamErrorException: undefined-condition You can read more about the meaning of this stream error at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-error-conditions
<stream:error><undefined-condition xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams'/><text>No stream features to proceed with</text></stream:error>
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1064)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1000)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1016)
        at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:832)

jicofo.log:

Jicofo 2021-11-02 15:23:08.931 WARNING: [53128] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener() Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error
org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$StreamErrorException: undefined-condition You can read more about the meaning of this stream error at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-error-conditions
<stream:error><undefined-condition xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams'/><text>No stream features to proceed with</text></stream:error>
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1064)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.access$300(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1000)
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader$1.run(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1016)
Jicofo 2021-11-02 15:23:09.070 SEVERE: [711] org.jitsi.impl.protocol.xmpp.XmppProtocolProvider.log() Failed to connect/login: undefined-condition You can read more about the meaning of this stream error at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-error-conditions
        at org.jivesoftware.smack.tcp.XMPPTCPConnection$PacketReader.parsePackets(XMPPTCPConnection.java:1059)
Jicofo 2021-11-02 15:23:09.087 WARNING: [53130] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener() Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error

Can someone give some ideas on where to go next?

Thanks,
Scott

Probably some old config files are not removed correctly and cause some issues. This link might be helpful to show you how to remove.

are you removing the old prosody too?
because you need to remove it too…

I just ran the uninstall command in the self hosting guide. Whatever that did was all I was doing. I looked at the file emrah linked to. I manually ran the rm -rf on those directories listed and the apt purge commands. Reran the apt update. I really didn’t want to pull new version of all this stuff since I was already all tested, but I ended up pulling in new versions with apt update. Prosody is running and logging errors now to var/log. Complete new / different set of problems that I have to work through now. I’ll post them here or to a new thread maybe. Thanks for reading and helping!

-Scott