Prosody 0.11 Breaks Jitsi Meet on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Have an install of the most recent Jitsi-Meet application on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. We have been trying to upgrade Prosody to 0.11 from the Prosody repos in hopes of utilizing newer features but are having Jitsi break as a result of the upgrade, causing connections to drop and users not to see each other in rooms. We confirmed that it works before the upgrade just fine.

We double checked storage = “none” as per this thread.

But are having errors such as this in JVB:

2020-03-31 19:25:59.017 WARNING: [83] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener: Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error
org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$StreamErrorException: host-unknown You can read more about the meaning of this stream error at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-error-conditions
<stream:error><host-unknown xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams'/><text>This server does not serve auth.domain.com</text></stream:error>

And something very similar in Jicofo.log:

Jicofo 2020-03-31 19:31:23.183 WARNING: [235] org.jivesoftware.smack.AbstractXMPPConnection.callConnectionClosedOnErrorListener() Connection XMPPTCPConnection[not-authenticated] (0) closed with error
org.jivesoftware.smack.XMPPException$StreamErrorException: host-unknown You can read more about the meaning of this stream error at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc6120.html#streams-error-conditions
<stream:error><host-unknown xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams'/><text>This server does not serve auth.domain.com</text></stream:error>

Combed through our configs and confirmed that the correct domain is on all of them. The original Prosody config is present. Not really sure what to look at now.

Any errors in the prosody logs?
Have you checked whether you have Include ... at the end of main prosody config. Also try storage = "memory" (I don’t remember which one was which but I see we replace null with memory for 0.11 and for 0.10 with none).

Prosody doesn’t show much. The error log just shows:

Apr 02 06:25:15 localhost:tls error Error creating contexts for s2sout: error loading private key (Permission denied)
Apr 02 06:25:15 certmanager error SSL/TLS: Failed to load ‘/etc/prosody/certs/localhost.key’: Check that the permissions allow Prosody to read this file. (for localhost)
Apr 02 06:25:15 localhost:tls error Error creating contexts for s2sin: error loading private key (Permission denied)

I may need clarification on the Include line…

Should that be: Include "conf.d/*.cfg.lua" in /etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua ? This, and storage = "memory" made no visible difference. Logs show roughly the same thing as before.

Separate discussion about the same issue going on here

Okay. I have fixed this for a test machine. I dont know if it is meaningfully reproducible yet.

Refer to this thread.