Problems connecting to jitsi instance when on same net behind NAT

I seem to have the opposite problem most have behind NAT. If I connect to the NAT:443 address that’s publicly routable, Jitsi seems to work without problem.

If try from the same RFC network that the server is on (192.168.1.0/24), I get a broken connection that won’t support audio or video and shuts down after about 30 seconds and tries to restart.

I’ve been following the install and NAT instructions on Github but I’ll admit I may have missed something.

I’d like to include more details, but the darn forum keeps thinking I’m embedding links and since I’m a new user, it’s blocking me.

Ubuntu 18.04.1 server

/etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost meet.jim-liesl.org meet

The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters

hostname is meet.jim-liesl.org

cat /etc/jitsi/videobridge/sip-communicator.properties

(rest is defaults)

org.ice4j.ice.harvest.NAT_HARVESTER_LOCAL_ADDRESS=192.168.1.66
org.ice4j.ice.harvest.NAT_HARVESTER_PUBLIC_ADDRESS=73.12.222.223

I’ve been through multiple purges and reinstalls. I assume it’s something to do with having two IP’s but I’m at a loss.

thanks
jim

Well, in the end, it was just too weird to figure out. I fell back to what a dev would of tested.

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04, upgraded the packages and then followed line by line the instruction on Github. I’m not sure where I went wrong before, but this time it worked. From both inside and out.

I’m still a bit unclear what to set org.ice4j.ice.harvest.STUN_MAPPING_HARVESTER_ADDRESSES to. The turnserver is the one that the jitsi install puts in. Would I use something like localhost:4446? Do I need to port forward the turn ports?

thanks