Problem with camera switching jitsi meet

Hi. I’m using jitsi meet for online session as guest. I have two cameras connected to my PC (builtin and external), and jitsi chooses builin as default. I want to change video capture to lb external camera, so I used config options and choosed the external camera and preview window shows external camera image, but wheni pressed ok to exit config and save settings, app backs to internal camera.

2 Likes

Same problem here…

What browsers are you using? It sounds like a browser thing than a jitsi thing, but does it work correctly at https://test.webrtc.org?

Using Chrome Version 80.0.3987.163 (Official Build) (32-bit)
Latest version according to Google

Error msg from https://test.webrtc.org is [Failed to access your computer’s camera and microphone (NotAllowedError: The request is not allowed by the user agent or the platform in the current context.).

Error msg from https://test.webrtc.org is [Failed to access your computer’s camera and microphone (NotAllowedError: The request is not allowed by the user agent or the platform in the current context.).

Please Ignore the error msg above (msg was generated using Jitsi under Firefox browser).

The problem comes when the applications tries to hand off to the external camera (despite it being present in Settings and under the Camera icon on the main screen. It won’t hand off…

Hi… chrome 80.0.3987.163, and yes, could be a browser thing and jitsi meet interaction: With firefox, browser allows me to choose camera, and I can choose external camera and works well. In chrome I found a setting that allows you to choose predefined camera (settings/privacy and security/site settings/camera/), but choosing external camera doesn’t change which camera jitsi meet chooses at first, and if you change it at jitsi settings, problems appears again. The only comment is that jitsi meet with firefox sends a warning message recommending me switch to one fully supported browser like last version of chromium or chrome! :sweat_smile:

P.D.: I tried webrtc test after config external camera as default on chrome, and webrtc successfully uses external camera… so could be some problem with chrome and jitsi meet interaction.

1 Like

Just as a data point, I’m using Chromium 80.0.3987.149 — which should be similar — switching between multiple cameras, microphones, and speakers/headphones regularly and meet.jit.si works great for me.

Have you tried using the drop down menu (ᴠ) on the camera button on the bottom of the screen to switch cameras?

This shouldn’t fix anything, but it might be worth a shot: try revoking permission for cameras (click on the lock icon to the left of the URL) and then granting permission again. When I tried that just now, the drop down menu only showed one camera until I reloaded.

Hi… with drop down menu i can see the other camera image and choose it, but video feed doesn’t change. I tried revoking and granting permission, but doesn’t change anything. I was working on it, and could be video feed resolution: My external camera could only use SD quality, and internal could feed at HD, so i tried changing video qualitiy on settings, but although i change it to SD, video feed indicator continues at HD and cannot change to external camera.

Very peculiar! If you can see the other camera image then the permissions must be correct. This is a long shot, but have you tried deleting cookies for meet.jit.si? In particular, I notice that the Local Storage for meet.jit.si it records the userSelectedCameraDeviceId.

Side note: After playing around with the drop downs for a bit, I think they are a bit buggy. In particular, when I stop sharing my screen, my video often reverts to my other camera, but the drop down menu doesn’t reflect that. I have to pretend to switch to my other camera in order to then switch back.

Today I tried to stream from my laptop by JITSI using an external camera and I had the same problem. The only solution I could get was to go to the DEVICE MANAGER and disable the built-in camera on my laptop.

In this way I was able to transmit using my external camera without problems.

I hope you find it useful.

A hug.

1 Like

Having the same problem

@Erickbiz: Thanks for the tip. Hopefully some people will find that helpful.

@Erickbiz, @rht When you say you had the same problem, do you also mean Firefox worked fine with Jitsi for selecting either camera?

I am having similar kind of issue i am not able to see the options of available camera fron settings option but the empty area is clickable and camera is getting change to rear after clicking on it but text is not visible. Also in samsung devices rear camera option is not available in a webview. Please help me on this please stucked with this issue from a long time ago