Problem Using Jitsi Meet and Jitse Desktop - It's got me completely baffled

Hi Everyone:

I have been using Jitsi Meet for my business for the past five months. I have been singing its praise to everyone who will listen.

But I have run into a major problem. I am not a developer or internet geek. BUT SOMETHING AIN’T RIGHT!

So you know, I downloaded Jitse Meet from the web (is it called Jitse Desktop?). I opened Jitse Desktop and created 3-4 different meeting links.

Once I create the meeting link, I them went to Chrome, put the meeting links in the browser, hit enter, opened the links, one at a time, got on the conference platform, then bookmarked the meeting links on Chrome.

So if you look at my Chrome, I have four Jitsi meeting links bookmarked on my browser - lets call them JMX1, JMX2, JMX3 and JMX4.

When I arrange a group conference call, I send everyone one of the meeting links to use.
And at the scheduled time, I jump on the platform via my Chrome browser - I just hit the bookmarked tab corresponding to the meeting link, and I am in my meeting room.

Here is the problem I have been encountering. . . .

Take this morning, for example. I arranged a conference call for 10 am, and sent the Jitsi meeting link JMX1 to seven of my clients in advance.

At 10 am, I jumped on Chrome, opened the bookmarked JMX1 meeting tab and entered the meeting room for JMX1. Four people came on the Jitse platform and joined me on the call.

Three people, though, were no-shows. However, these same three people sent me an URGENT text asking “where was I? - that they were in the meeting room JMX1 waiting for me” HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE! Everyone had one and the same Link - JMX1.

How could people appear at two different locations, using the same link?

My second conference call this morning was no better. I gave out my my Jitse meeting JMX2 link to 2 clients. Again, I hopped on Chrome, using my bookmarked tab, got on my Jitse meeting JMX2 link and waiting. But no one came on.

By then, I had figured out that something was wrong with Jitse. I immediately opened Jitse desktop. I hit the Jitse meeting JMX2 link, got on the JMX2 conference platform and there they were - my two clients waiting for me!

I can’t understand it - it has me baffled.

I am giving out the same link to everyone. They are opening with the same link, but showing up in two different locations.

Can anyone help me out.

Robert

What exactly are you downloading? Jitsi Desktop (https://desktop.jitsi.org/) is a different piece of software from Jitsi Meet and although they share some code, they are not interoperable.

There is also Jitsi Meet Electron app (GitHub - jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron: Jitsi Meet desktop application powered by) - is that what you mean?

You don’t need to create the meeting links in advance and then open them up in browser - the calls are created on demand. So all you need is the web browser.

Hi Yasen:

I believe I downloaded the Jitsi Meet Electron App. When I hover my mouse over the app on my laptop, it says “Electron application for Jitsi Meet” And when I open the app, down in the bottom left hand corner it says “Version 2022. 11.0”.

To your point, I create the meeting links in advance, because I like to customize the links before sending them out. For example, CanadaCommoditiesMeeting, HongKongCommoditiesMeeting, DubaiCommoditiesMeeting, etc. I then use the appropriate links as the situation merits.

And of course, I have to create the meeting links in advance, because I have to send the meeting link to my clients in advance - sometimes two weeks in advance, via email.

I was thinking that - if this is a possible solution - I am fine with NOT opening the links in my Chrome browser. Just using the Jitsi App. I am okay doing that, if that will solve the problem.

Or should I instead download Jitse Desktop because I am working exclusively on my laptop). I don’t use my phone at all. I actually didn’t realize their were two different Jitse downloads available. Maybe I downloaded the wrong one?

Thanks

Kind regards

Robert

You downloaded the right one. Jitsi Desktop is a different program. The Electron app is basically the same as what you get in the web browser - you can open the conferences either way.

Are you using your own server or you are using the default one, hosted by Jitsi team?

Sometimes there could be some splitting in the conferences, when some participants don’t see the other ones, even though they all are visiting the same URL. It’s very rare (in fact I don’t remember a recent issue) and the Jitsi team fixes it quickly - that is, if you are not using your own server.

If this happens again, the first thing I would recommend is to see if a simple refresh (a refresh of the browser tab or relaunching of the electron app) fixes it. Another reason could be network problem that prevents one of the participants to actually join the real call.

Yasen,

I don’t have my own server. I am just a small businessman.

I think what I will do is re-launch the electron app, like you said. Then I am going to open the conference via the Electon app only. Forget Chrome Altogether. That is easy for me to do on my end.

Tomorrow, I have two back-to-back scheduled conference calls again.

So I will use a relaunched Electron App, and go ahead and re-establish the two meeting links I am using tomorrow (if they don’t show in the App when I re-launch it).

And we will see what happens. . . .

I will report back to you tomorrow, this time, if that is okay. Unless there is something else you suggest. . .

Thanks

Robert

1 Like

Save browser console logs if that happens again. From the browser where there are no participants and the from the browser where you did the successful meeting.

Guys -

I am embarrassed to say that the “problem” that so baffled me was all my doing. A stupid silly error on my part.

I created a meeting link. But then proceeded to gave out the wrong meeting link to my clients. Actually I misspelled it. “newgoldmine” versus “newgolddmine”. So of course we ended up on two different URL’s. Stupid me!!

Jitsi Meet worked wonderfully. And I am a huge fan of this platform.

Regards
Robert

1 Like

Thanks for reporting back and for your candor.