Possible to remove buttons during meeting?

Hi all,

I was wondering is it possible to remove buttons during a call? like for example if the host wants to disable the chat during the meeting? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Yes, you can modify the appropriate config files. But in order for the change to become visible, everyone will have to reload their web page/ hang-up + re-enter the meeting room.

Thanks for your response, could you help guide me in the direction with a bit more detail please?

Always make a backup of important files and even of your full install before attempting modifications like this.

In the /usr/share/jitsi-meet/interface_config.j file look for the TOOLBAR_BUTTONS section, modify the first few lines like this :

TOOLBAR_BUTTONS: [
        'microphone', 'camera', 'closedcaptions', 'desktop', 'fullscreen',
        'fodeviceselection', 'hangup', 'profile', 'info', 
        //'chat', 

Notice the “//” to comment the Chat button out. If you modify the file like this and reload a participant meeting, the button will be gone. If you remove “//” again and reload the page, it will come back again. Please test before using in production, this is not very elegant and requires manual intervention but should work.

Thank you for your reply! However i’m looking to be able to take this button out during runtime without intervention. I was thinking like if i could add an extra button to the interface and then when it is clicked it will disable the chat although I’ve no idea where to start as i’m quite new to js and react

I am sorry, I haven’t needed to do such custom development and as such I don’t know how to do it and won’t get into that short term. Perhaps someone else here can help or you can post to the "apid-work category.

Ok I understand, thanks so much for your help anyway!