Please. Reconsider doing something with the KICK option. At https://meet.jit.si/

I can’t really create my own server with jitsi.

I would like to use your implementation at https://meet.jit.si/

But it is impossible to use because all users are room administrators.

And users kick others for fun.

This is not serious. And I have no way to control it unless I create my own server.

It is so difficult that in your implementation, allow the first one to enter is the only moderator in the room ???

Please reconsider this.

For this reason, many people cannot choose jitsi for conferences.

1 Like
  1. public Jitsi Meet server is PUBLIC, so it means that should be usable by anyone, restricting access would be a problem for many
  2. Server is free, so if you want a dedicated service… pay for it, you’ve hundred of paid services that could fit your usage
  3. if users enjoy to kick others, then send link of another room only to who where kicked and protect the room with password and leave the stupid kikers outside :unamused: they’ll learn the lesson
  4. Obviously YOU should’nt have control over a free, open to everyone service.
  5. normally the first to open a room must be the moderator, because on normal usage it’s who make the meeting room to rule it.

For these reasons Jitsi open server is really good, BECAUSE IT’S OPEN and it’s intended for check how the platform works and get help in developments from outside developers.

If you don’t have the skill, pay someone to make the server or ask a friendly and educated help to some of your friends
If you’ve the money simply buy the service you want and how you want it.

2 Likes
  1. I do not want to restrict access. I want to be in control of the room that I have created myself.

2. I don’t want to use a dedicated server I want to use this server in an effective way.

3. If I create the room I want to be the moderator of the room, not that anyone who enters does whatever.

4. I don’t want to be in control of the service. I just want to be in control of the room I create within the service.

5. What you say is not correct. The person who creates the room is the moderator … and everyone else who enters is also the moderator. That is illogical. You can try it and see it.

I hope they can change this so that meet.jit.si can have an effective and serious use.

1 Like
  1. set a password then

2. it’s for testing pourposes, so people can see how it works and intall on their own

3. you can on your setup

4. impossible on a service given to everyone

5. no, by default on own server it’s not enabled the kick for everyone but necessary for public usage.

If you want them, pay for it.

1 Like

Nowhere on the site https://meet.jit.si/
says it is a test site.

It does not say that if I want something extra I must pay.

Since the conversation started I said that something was recommended for https://meet.jit.si/

I don’t need you to tell me that if I implement my own server I can control the settings.

That I know and I clarified in the first post.

What solution can you give me for what I ask for? You may not have it, but someone else on the development team can.

You’re right: anyone who joins can kick anyone else. There is not, as far as I’m aware, a setting in meet.jit.si to stop this currently.

As @RubensRainelli says, you could configure this behaviour if you ran your own server, but I understand you do not want to do this.

As such, I think the answer for now is that meet.jit.si is probably not the right server to use for what you need.

1 Like

Here is a teacher speaking. I kind of like to use this service temporarily during corona lockdown. We have children 12-16 yo. The younger ones are not always that polite. Boys like to kick the others, just because they can.
Of course we should either pay for it or have our own server. Do you have any idea how long it will take to get that paid for by the school? Too long. We need this stuff today.

To get your great product in the spotlight, please, I repeat, please remove this very nasty feature ‘to have immature guests kicking other guests’. Make it an opt-out and we’re there.

Please reconsider,

Barry from Rotterdam, Netherlands

Here is a teacher speaking too.

I agree with everything you say.

It cannot be used for something serious, like teaching or for a job or for anything serious.

To get together with friends and have a good time. Maybe it’s great.

But you cannot use this for any serious use.

Please reconsider.

I think what Rubens says is that if you have an open session, then there can be no chosen admin of that session. The session might live forever. And the admin might want to leave, e.g. for food and sleep, or maybe never coming back. And then this session is abandoned. And what will then happen if all leave? Should the session be closed, like now?

Of course, there are solutions.

1. Two kind of session, open sessions and administrated sessions. Administrated sessions are taken down when the administrator leaves. And the admin has all power. I would call this the most obvious solution.

2. Two kind of open sessions with or without kick. But note that there might be other stuff, like setting password. Maybe we need a configuration of the setting? Maybe closed and open is one of the config parmeters? We have opened Pandora’s box!

3. Open sessions where the admin role is transferred when admin leaves. How shall that transfer occur?

4. there are plenty other

But then it is disclosed that the Open server is viewed upon as a test bed. They really want people to set up their own servers if they have serious plans.

Then things fall into place, I think.

Someone with powers might correct me if I am wrong!

Chiming in here, out of curiosity. I use my own instance and as such it is protected by a password. To try to emulate what is doing meet.jit.si, I removed the authentication.
What happened there is that the first station to connect become moderator (a star appear in the lower right hand of the thumbnail) and the following connected don’t have this star. Non moderators can kick out the moderator, but the option has no effect. If a moderator kick out a non moderator, it works.
So why is not meet.jit.si working in this way ? I tested it and the first user is not moderator. I remember dimly having seen a post where it was said that meet.jit.si worked like that, so maybe it’s true and it really worked like that. In this case why was it changed ???

The public meet.jit.si server operates differently, in that all members of the room have moderator powers. It is different from self hosted servers because of the public/open nature of it.

I assume that you are responding to me although you did not quote me so it’s not obvious.
Your answer don’t begin to explain why there is a difference between an open self hosted instance and a public instance like meet.jit.si. At first glance they operate in the same way, you enter a room name and you are in, no registration.

I haven’t figured out how to quote properly - sorry.

But in any case, I don’t work for Jitsi, so I can’t speak to the reasons they choose to configure their server differently.

In the spirit of this discussion; I have no desire to run and maintain my own Jitsi instance. Nor do I want to pay a particular developer to set one up just for me.
I would be interested in a pay-as-you-go Jitsi service where I can have, what I would think are, ‘normal’ moderation rights when creating or opening a room.

So, where can I find a list of hosted, presumably non-free, Jitsi services?

if you really want to use with 1 room, just sign up at

8x8.vc

its a stable implementation by the company that owns jitsi

The moderator / account owner can kick other out & the guest cannot kick anyone else out.

If you dont sign up & just use it like jitsi, then the “kick” option is disabled.

PLEASE DONT EXPECT meet.jit.si to be you main GO TO Platform

You don’t even need to disable kicking or anything like that. You simply need to allow control over the presence or absence of the “kick” buttons in the UI.

That alone would allow the illusion of moderation, and allow the web admin to allow kick access to certain users.

It’s a total showstopper, and an incredibly easy fix. You just add “SHOW_KICK_BUTTON: false” as an option, and it would fix this for everyone.

is it not limited to 30 days ?

i just noticed it, thanks… this is new

Which file? What’s the path?

You can handle kick out from front end.
I have handled this according to the role of all the participants in the video lecture or conference.

configOverwrite: {
  remoteVideoMenu: {
    // If set to true the 'Kick out' button will be disabled.
    disableKick: role === 'teacher' ? false : true
  }
}