Permanency of meeting link

Hi everyone. I’m new to Jitsi and I’m searching for some simple information.

I’d like to know if the meeting URL is permanent or has an expiry time.

I know its a basic question but the answer doesn’t appear in the FAQ’s (hint hint guys…can you put it up there please?)

I think the link is permanent but that puzzles me because over a period of time common URL’s would all be taken by other people and be unavailable. Or if its still available you could end up using another persons URL, and may in fact accidently bump into their meeting. What does Jitsi do about this dilemma?

Also - How is a meeting link deleted once its no longer required?

Cheers Guys
andrew

1 Like

I also was wondering about this.

Hi, I am also wondering about this.
I created a meeting and gave it a name.
Now, I would like to schedule it into my website and spread the word through the social media. But how can I make sure that this name will “resist” in the future? This is apparently a silly question, perhaps, but I couldn’t find any conclusive word in the documentation.
Thank you for your attention.
Best,
Gerardo

If you use a simple name which can be guessed and used by other participants this can happen.

There is no storage, you enter a link and a room is immediately created, the last to leave and the room is deleted. The only thing that may stay is the meeting pin, this in case you are asking about meet.jit.si. This pin stays for 30 days since the last time you used your conference, and this is to be able to put your link and meeting info like dial-in numbers and pin to make it available to be used from regular dial-in participants.

Thank you, that sounds encouraging.

So if I’m planning regular meetings (e.g. 3 or more times a week) I can permanently use the URL (e.g. meet.jit.si/sipuofareonline) for our social communication, isn’t it?

That is correct.

I’m a longtime user and big fan of Jitsi, but this is my first post here. This url issue strikes me as being very open to abuse. Impersonation of individuals, organisations or companies provides opportunities for social engineering, identity theft etc.

I’ve noticed that if you set a password for entry to a chat, it only stays in force as long as you have the chat open. Also, if you give the password to another person, they can then join that chat, remove the password, and set one themselves.

Am I missing something, or is there any way around this?

1 Like