Performance on self-hosted Jitsi

Just wanted to give a little feedback into the community based on my install/config learnings over the last week. Initial goal was to have video meetings with approx. 25-30 ppl.
Running on Linux VPS even up to 16 dedicated vCPUs / 64GB RAM gave me trouble even with 10 ppl joining w/ video. Video was going on/off even for stable internet connections. CPU load / RAM seems to be never the issue, the system had enough. But either the sheer amount of network packets or the up to 160k context switches per second killed the experience.
After switching to a fully dedicated server (hexa-core, 64GB) it’s now running without any problem up to 25ppl incl. video. (didn’t have more yet to test with). For 25 ppl. (~600 video streams) we have ~10% CPU, 3GB RAM, 100k context switches, ~20 kpps UDP = 115 MBit/s and a relaxed admin looking forward to more users :slight_smile:
So, if you have trouble with your install, try to run it on its own server non-virtualized.

Config: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Hexa-Core, 64GB, 1GBit internet link, Debian Buster, Jitsi stable w/o turn server, nginx, tcp port 443 + udp port 10000

1 Like

I would cautiously claim that there were other reasons for your poor performance experience.
Maybe the available network bandwidth was too low?
Possibly unfavourable configuration settings?

Jitsi runs their own infra with core and bridge nodes on AWS c5.xlarge instances (4 vCPU, 8 GB RAM) and they can handle much more participants.

I guess it’s heavily depending on the virtualization being used then. Network bandwidth was/is not the issue:
Latency: 3.92 ms (0.08 ms jitter)
Download: 3451.57 Mbps (data used: 6.0 GB)
Upload: 7015.46 Mbps (data used: 9.0 GB)
Packet Loss: 0.0%
(from speedtest-cli)

Which virtualization and/or cloud provider did you use for the above mentioned VPS ?

it’s on Hetzner and I think they are using KVM