As many countries are currently in lockdown there’s been a dramatic increase in performers making use of video conferencing software to host shows. Events with multiple performers seem to like video conferencing systems for this as it makes it trivial to switch between artists throughout the night; however, the technical needs of performances are very different to those of conversations. As such, I’d like to propose a “performance mode” option which makes a number of automatic changes to the stream settings, such as:
- Mute all participants besides the currently designated performer
- Possibly even stop all video from other participants as well to provide maximum bandwidth for the performer
- Disable all audio pre-processing (e.g. echo cancellation, etc.); although perhaps some optional performance specific effects could be introduced, such as reverb for musicians
- Increase the audio bitrate (even at the detriment to video quality if necessary, especially for musical performances the audio quality is of paramount importance)
- Increase the buffer size (latency is no longer a concern, but the smoothness of playback is)
I’d envisage this as being an option that can be switched into and out of during a call, allowing the MC to hold conversations with the artists, audience, etc. between performances as normal, and only switching into performance mode when a performer takes to the stage.
Maybe a good GSoC project for someone?