Performance issue / Zoom comparison - App Priorisation?

Hi,
I’ve heard a few times that Zoom does work and perform better then Jitsi. Today I’ve seen it on a meeting participants PC. While jitsi had massive audio/video problems and frequent disconnects, Zoom worked just fine. All other Jitsi session participants had no issue with the conf.
It turned out that the Windows Defender software was doing it checks in the background (according to Windows task manager) and probably interfered with the Jitsi browser session (chrome).
I know that Jitsi is browser based and most likely takes more CPU Performance than the native Zoom app .
However , is it possible that Zoom is able to prioritize it’s app for CPU performance over Defender (or other apps)?
That could partly explain why Zoom works fine while the browser doesn’t work well on the same PC because the browser doesn’t prioritize it’s work in CPU processing over MS-Defender.
I think these problem should affect more the older PC’s, probably with HDD instead of SSD
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I think it’s important to understand the different technologies that power both platforms and how that impacts user-experience. Zoom’s MCU-based technology mixes media and then forwards a single stream to its native client. In essence, it’s a completely controlled environment that’s rarely dependent on the user’s machine (at least, for the most basic use). Jitsi is based on SFU; there is no media processing per se, just forwarding. So the individual browsers have to encode and decode streams. Apart from the fact that it means the user’s experience is tied to how well-apportioned their machine is, it also means that browser limitations will pose a factor to Jitsi.

You can attempt to exert a little more control over the user-experience by mandating the electron client for Jitsi. At the core, it’s still just a wrapper for Chromium, but at least, if everyone in the meeting is using it, it’s easier to predict the outcome.

2 Likes