We are happy users of Jitsi, but we cannot use it for conferences, because it lacks a few features. The goal is to be able host conferences with:
- 100 participants
- A (small) panel of speakers
- A few moderators
A few of the 100 participants will be speaking/asking questions. Most participants will only be watching and listening.
- Moderator lets in people if they do not know the password
- Moderator can upgrade anyone to moderator
- If a moderator falls off, a reconnected moderator will stay moderator
- When you raise your hand, you go to the bottom of the speakers’ list
- maybe the speakers list is simply the participant list with the speakers sorted at the top?
- There is a list of people in the panel (the panelists)
- Moderator can give the “floor” a panelist and to anyone on the speakers list. This unmutes them (possibly with a popup that tells them to unmute themselves).
- Moderator has an easy way (shortcut and click on speakers list) to give the floor to first person on speakers’ list, but can pass the floor to anyone on the speakers list (e.g. if the previous participant has a short follow-up question).
- Moderator can take the floor from anyone. This mutes them.
- Video+audio starts muted for all expect moderator. People can only unmute themselves if moderator has unmuted them.
- Muted persons will not have an icon in the tile-view.
- The speaker can share slides and video (you can see the speaker and the slides at the same time)
We are willing to pay to get this developed with the result being given to the community. Please get in touch with me if you are interested in doing the work or interested in co-financing.