Overwhelmed complete newb wanting to use Jitsi on Mac 10.12 - can i use desktop app?

Hi there,
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but Jitsi looks so complicated! Wondering if I can download a Jitsi desktop app to run on my slightly old iMac (running Sierra 10.12.6).
Someone i need to meet is insisting i use Jitsi instead of zoom, but a friend told me for best security I should use app rather than web-browser version. I went to the desktop.jitsi.org/Main/Download.html site and downloaded something but I’m already lost (it’s asking me about type of network to connect with?)
OR should I be using Jitsi ‘Meet’? I believe the person will send me a link so I can connect. Any tips gratefully received! Thanks!

I believe this is what you are looking for: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron
A desktop app that connects to a Jitsi Meet service. When the person sends you the link, you can use it with this app - it basically embeds a web client and you use it as a desktop app. There are download links on that page, check them out.

1 Like

Thanks Yasen. Downloaded and seems to open ok.
I guess I create an account. Next challenge: which ‘network’ do I use - or doesn’t it matter? (I don’t think i have any of those, except i guess maybe google talk because i have a google acct already?) Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 7.31.51 pm

You’re still tinkering with the wrong app. Did you click on the link Yasen posted for you? Like he advised, what you’re looking for is the Electron app which he provided a link to. Click on that link and download the app.

1 Like

Aha, thanks Freddie. Funny i downloaded the one recommended, but obviously opened up the old one. Yes the new one looks much more straightforward, thankyou!