Override language strings

Hi.
How can I override language strings? I.e. I’d like to customize the welcome page message, which I see is in lang/main-enGB.json. How can I change it?

Changing /usr/share/jitsi-meet/lang/main-enGB.json has no effect on the frontend.

Thanks

You need to change main.json an rebuild.
Or you can change main-enGB.json and change your default language to enGB https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/config.js#L271 … (make sure you clear local storage after you change your deployment default language).

The problem with modifying the main-<language-shortcut>.json files is, that any Jitsi update (for example from the Debian repository) overwrites those changes with the previous defaults.

This is bassically ok, as doing these, updates to the defaults and new strings are populated.

But at the same time, any local adaption is lost.

Jitsi needs some sort of

main-<language-shortcut>-local.json

which is read after the main-<language-shortcut>.json and the subset of language strings in the “-local” variant overwrites the strings from the default set. That way, local adaptions are possible, the file would only contain the strings really modified and they would survive updates without manual intervention.