Option to Mute / Unmute participants by moderator

any chance we can play videos back from other sources besides youtube ?

https://meet.jit.si/interface_config.js
add ‘mute-everyone’ to TOOLBAR_BUTTONS

1 Like

Thank you for sharing.
so i added ‘mute-everyone’ to the toolbar_buttons. after restarting the server i do not see it in the gui.
am i missing something ?
Also are there any documentations about these extra functions available anywhere ?

Which is the version you run?

I am using jitsi-meet version 1.0.4101-1, when I add the mute-everyone button it does not appear in the conference

The feature is available in the latest releases, for which you need to switch to the unstable repo and update.

hi
you can mute everyone but they can unmute
and can mute the “presenter”

1 Like

i installed it last week. it must have been the most reset one.

We started to use Jitsi as well due to all of us working at home and it works nicely. Thank you.

I also think that adding a presenter mode option would be nice.

To explain a bit more in detail, why it might be useful, there are 2 scenarios that come to my mind:

In the company I worked before, there was every 2 months a meeting with all employees. A good part was attending the meeting live, and then the different locations were dialed in and also the sales person around the world dialed in. At the beginning, everyone was unmuted and every location was welcomed. But as soon as the presentation starts, everyone connected should be muted. It was regularly an issue that somebody forgot to mute and had to be reminded. An additional good feature is that during the presentation, only the camera and the screen of the person presenting should be visible (also to save bandwidth). If somebody raises a question, than this person can be enabled and everyone hears that mic and sees also the video.

Second case is for teachers. If a teacher presents something, all the students should be muted and also they shouldn’t see the video of each other, because it will disturb and somebody will start doing funny faces etc. If somebody wants to ask a question, he or she can raise their hand and the teacher can activate that person. I guess for teachers, BigBlueButton integrated in Moodle is the better solution.

2 Likes

I consult for an AV company that does a lot of in-person and online meetings.

As meetings move from offline to online this is a feature that would be very helpful… Couple of comments…

The “give the floor too…” is useful where you want to allow someone who is normally muted the ability to talk (and avoid individuals un-muting when it’s not appropriate). In-person meetings typically use conference discussions systems that have these features (the chair of the meeting can see a queue of requests from delegates in the room).

We’re seeing an increase in the number of managed meetings people want to do online. They want a live AV operator to provide the mute / unmute, video management and monitoring of the call so the chair and participants can focus on the business at hand. Many people are challenged with even connecting to a video call so having managed calls (e.g. for councils, governments, etc) is crucial.

So yes… I vote for this functionality to exist. It might be disabled by default but there are certainly use cases where it’s needed. Happy to discuss offline if you need more information.

Some references to in-person / physical systems:

2 Likes

There is a privacy concern when unmuting someone, this is the reason this had never been added.

1 Like

I think several people participating in this discussion use “unmute / mute” as a shorthand for “allow to unmute themselves / mute and prohibit unmuting themselves”. Certainly for my application that is the necessary missing moderation element.

6 Likes

I understand that it is a privacy concern, if you can unmute someone else microphone. I am very happy that you are concerned about privacy and I don’t want anything to change there. I think no one wants to change this behaviour.
They (me included) ask for a behaviour, where you can give somebody the floor and that person can than speak (the person still needs to unmute himself, if he was muted before).
Let’s assume a meeting starts, there are 20 persons in the meeting, 10 of them are unmuted. The moderator now gives the floor to one person, now only this person can be heard, all other audio streams are blocked (to not use the word muted) and are not combined into the common audio stream. Somebody wants to ask a question: then this person can than raise their hand and the moderator can give this person the floor and this persons audio stream is then added to the common audio stream (if the person is on mute, no one will hear anything). The same could also be done for the video, that only the video of the person who has the floor (or the persons) is visible. It could also help to reduce the bandwidth used if the stream is not even transmitted to the server. There are examples of meetings with 50+ participants (like standards meeting), but only one has the floor at the same time, plus maybe the chair and if there is some discussion, maybe 3 to 5 in total.

I know that bigbluebutton has a feature to “mute” everyone. And I think most video conferencing system have at least a moderator scheme, where someone can decide who is allowed to share their screen.

1 Like

That is certainly true, but it is still worthy to consider as a core feature.

4 Likes

@Anton_Akhmerov has pointed it out correctly. The essencial missing moderator feature for Jitsi is to prohibit attendees to speak, or to allow attendees to speak. Local mute settings should be completely independent from this so this should create now issues with privacy.

Another issue of cause is the point that you loose moderator rights if you have network problems and are kicked out from the conference…

3 Likes

A screenshot from Zoom. This is all I’m looking for.

3 Likes

For example this feature cannot work in the context of meet.jit.si. But will work in case of only one moderator (but then when moderator reload what will happen?) or secure rooms when someone is self hosting. There is no such feature in our roadmap, so any contributions are welcome.

Hello, I’m currently browsing in search of a suitable Web Conferencing system that could be implemented for general meetings of companies.
I discovered Jitsi today and my first experiment using https://meet.jit.si/ really impressed me. Although, one of the first functionality that seems essential for this use case is the possibility of moderating a meeting, as is for other use cases cited earlier in this discussion.

IMHO a suitable tool for such a purpose would be to have some kind of “layer”, intervening between the connected participants and the “live feed”, that would only be accessible by the moderator(s) and that would act as some kind of “mixing table”.
A moderated session would start with all participants listed, but having their video and audio disconnected from the “live feed”, except the one(s) of the moderator(s).

The “mixing table” could consist of three lists:

List 1 - Raised Hands:
Displays the names (icons) of all participants. When someone raises hand, this name is brought to the top of the list, under other names that have already raised their hand before. The top of this list is thus organized in the order in which the hands were raised (a timer since it was raised would be nice to have).
This list would be visible by all participants and could be used to initiate private chats, but only moderators could move names from this list to list 2.

List 2 - Main Stage:
Displays the names of participants currently connected to the session’s “live feed”. Here also a timer since each one has been connected would be nice to have.
The moderator(s) could move any name from list 2 back to list 1 which would then disconnect this user’s video/audio feed form the live feed.

List 3 - Public Chat Requests:
Displays a list of pending public chat messages from the audience. Public chat messages issued by the participants would stack up in this list until they are validated or discarded by the moderator(s).

And that would be it!
Of course easier said than done, and to be honest, as I haven’t even deployed Jitsi myself yet, I have absolutely no idea whether this would be complicated or even possible to implement. Nevertheless, I just wanted to share the idea.

I will continue my research in the hope of finding a platform offering the required functionality. But I would also like to invite anyone who might have the required skills to implement something close to the functionalities described here above in Jitsi to contact me as the company I work for might be interested in funding such a development.
The pricing and timing would of course need to be discussed and agreed upon but in case someone reading this feels like going for it, we might start a discussion…

Thank you, and congratulations to the Jitsy team for sharing this already very nice piece of software with the community.

4 Likes

Hello,
I have just signed in and want to create a group confernece.
But I hav a problem: I can’t open my camera, my microphone, my oudio output and configuration does not even let me. What do you think is the problem.
I have no problem with other videochats on that issue.
Thank you

Jitsi work for us now, we are a small community with a grown up manner, in more wild meetings like schools i think this functions is perfekt.

I love to se this functions talked about .
I agree that if a user mute, there should be no way to unmute that user!

But a moderated silence function besides that would be nice! One way maybe that only users that have raised hands can speak.

1 Like