Option to Mute / Unmute participants by moderator

Hi Team,
I have setup Jitsi meet in Amazon EC2, I would like to know if there is an option to Mute / Unmute participants by moderator from the UI or using Jitsi external API.

I have looked for all the config files in Jitsi meet.
Please help me out in achieving this, thanks in advance.

1 Like

There is no option to unmute due to privacy concerns.
You can click on the 3 dots on the remote participant and you can Mute that remote participant when you are moderator.

Thanks @damencho
Do we have option to hide participant video ?

The moderator can open the settings and enable ‘everyone starts hidden’ before the conference starts.
Or you can enable on your deployment startWithVideoMuted: true, and everyone will always start video muted.

Hi @damencho
I recommend adding a button for moderator,Let moderator can mute everyone during the meeting, Because there are many remote participants in the meeting, and it is difficult to mute each participant one by one.Thank you!

this is already somewhat implemented. when u start the meeting just use everyone starts muted…
39%20PM

I mean, not before the meeting, but during the meeting, moderators sometimes need to block other attendees from speaking. Keep the meeting quiet. Let the meeting continue. It’s like the BOSE conferencing system. When the host presses the talk button, the other participant’s microphone stops working.th

2 Likes

this is theoretically possible…something like how raise hand functionality works, but it requires you to modify jicofo as well as the frontend…but u can only turnoff microphone to remote guests but the guest would have to unmute to talk…moderator can’t and will never be able to unmute remote ppl…I am just speculating…lol

@Tanvir
Thank you for your patience, I think Jitsi-meet is a good video conferencing system, but its conference management is weak and needs to improve its conference management function

4 Likes

That could be a useful feature and other video conference solutions have it too. May be an indicator could be shown to the user who is unmuted.

This is a privacy problem and will not be considered. Participants should unmute themselves.

4 Likes

I think perhaps this valid requirement is being dismissed because you are using the same mute/unmute vocabulary for two systems at odds with each other.

A user can mute/unmute themselves and I agree with the unmute being a function only the individual user can activate. But there is nothing preventing a “presenter mode” that can apply and remove a second layer of muting with a clear separate indicator to users to distinguish it from a user’s individual mute/unmute.

1 Like

I don’t think I understand that? Can you give more details? What is the difference with remote unmuting?

1 Like

@damencho
As a moderator i can mute people, but they can unmute themselves. This moderation feature is useless, because spammers who want to spam can keep unmuting themselve.

Same thing with kicking, if i kick them, they can come back again, so its useless too.

Is there any way to force mute the participant or permanently ban/kick a user from joining a meeting? If i am a moderator ?

4 Likes

But they should be able to unmute themselve, only after a mod has allowed them to unmute, if mod has muted them, they should not be able to unmute, unless the mod has unmute them (which will not unmute them but will give them an option to unmute themselve in real) but if mod has muted them, they should remain force muted, unless they have the permission by a mod to unmute themselve.

1 Like

There is no such option for muting and it will need modifications in several places to be able to implement this.
To be able to force a user out of a conference, you need to implement authentication and to delete the user from your authentication backend. With anonymous participants there will always be able to join.

1 Like

@damencho

Hello!

I’m not sure if the preference is to revive an old thread or start a new one - so hopefully this is the proper place to ask this!

I am also very interested in the ability to enforce “presenter mode” (for lack of a better name) where I, as the authenticated moderator/admin would be able to force mute all participants and prevent them from unmuting themselves without approval. The use case/work flow I imagine would be something like… giving a presentation, someone clicks Raise Your Hand to ask a question, I would acknowledge them and “give them the floor” so to speak - allowing them to unmute long enough to ask their question or whatever.

The problem I’m running into is hosting group meetings where new people attend (which is great!) but they ask lots of questions or want to comment on everything, which monopolizes the entire meeting. I’m generally happy to answer questions and all, but it makes it challenging to control the pace of the meeting and get out the relevant information to my regular group members when I can’t control who is talking. Being able to force mute people isn’t enough when they can just unmute themselves again.

So I would like to either request this feature or work with you to understand what changes I’d need to make to the code to enable this on my server.

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

This sounds like a broadcast event, just send YouTube link to others and they will just watch.

Not exactly - I do want to allow people the ability to speak to the group during the meeting. Again, it’s the idea of giving another group member the floor for a period of time or opening the room up for a group discussion after the main presentation. A “broadcast only” solution (like YouTube) does not satisfy that need.

One of the benefits of Jitsi is hosting it on my private server at my house, so I have positive control of our data. I would like to keep it that way.

1 Like

@damencho

I respect your perspective on privacy on this one. However, as @Amos has stated above. It would be pertinent for Jitsi to implement a feature where you can select the type of meeting you are hosting and in 1) One instance allow muting/unmuting by all participants and in 2) Another “Presenter Mode” of a meeting be able to mute all participants.

2 Likes