Old webcams in Linux (gspca drivers)

Hello,

I just wanted to share here how I solved a problem with some old webcams not working under Linux in meet.jit.si web based video conferencing service. I am new here so maybe this post should go into another place. Please tell me if I should move it elsewhere.

The workaround is as easy as launching Chromium, Chrome or Firefox preceeded by LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so as described here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/webrtc/issues/detail?id=3765
Example:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/chromium-browser

It worked at least for these two webcams that were not detected by webrtc without that:
Logitech Quickcam Express Plus (Device ID 046d:092f ) and Robot-Cam (Device ID 0c45:602c Microdia Clas Ohlson TWC-30XOP Webcam) These are old cameras not supported by uvcvideo drivers and they use old gspca drivers instead.

It worked for me with Linux Mint 19.3 (ubuntu 18.04 based) and another ubuntu 14.04 based distro. In the first one I installed the following packages during testing but I guess they are not needed at all: xawtv xawtv-plugins xawtv-tools v4l-conf v4l-utils v4l2ucp v4l2loopback-utils v4l2loopback-source v4l2loopback-dkms

Hope it will be useful for other people facing the same problem.

Best Regards.

2 Likes

Great!! Thanks for posting this. Really useful, and worked like a charm with my old Logitech QuickCam Messenger Webcam, on Ubuntu 20.04.

Thank you very much @javier.puche because you wrote about the solution you’ve found. It was very usefull for me. I’ve tryed hard to configure my old Aspire 5630-6091 with 046d:0896 Logitech Orbicam (gspca_vc032x driver) on LMDE4 to make it works. Now, it worked (tested in Firefox and Chromium). It was not necessary to install the packages xawtv xawtv-plugins xawtv-tools v4l2loopback-source.
I was frustrated (in this pandemic time with remote classes for my children) that the camera was working in software like guvcview and cheese and didn’t work on browsers.