OCTO installation without HAproxy

Hi all,

We would like to convert our Jitsi meet setup to OCTO one, The reason is we are getting frequent call drops issue from users, and as discussed in topic it might be happening because of huge RTT.
So for now our installation looks like ->

One Jitsi-Meet server(have its own JVB with MUC setup), zone:us-central1
Three JVBs, zone: us-central1

We are trying to put extra JVBs in us-west, asia-southeast1 regions. Please note, I have only one Jitsi meet server and additional JVBs.

Questions :

1. Can I redirect users to nearest JVB without HAproxy(I think I read in forum that HAproxy is the one sends info about userRegion)

2. Is there any way I can equip our Jitsi server with OCTO capabilities without any external service?

My current POC status is:
I have followed and configured the JVBs and Jitsi meet jicofo using https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-videobridge/blob/master/doc/octo.md

I have set config.deploymentInfo properties to asia-southeast1, but it seems static configuration and users are getting connected to that JVB. How can I make it dynamic, I mean should I override this configuration in our lib-jitsi-meet UI while connecting?

Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nilesh,

Can I redirect users to nearest JVB without HAproxy(I think I read in forum that HAproxy is the one sends info about userRegion)

You don’t need HAproxy, but you need to set config.deploymentInfo
dynamically somehow. Another option is to modify the client to
discover it’s own region an override config.deploymentInfo prior to
joining the conference.

Boris

Any suggestion how do I do this?

Will I be able to override while creating JitsiMeetJsConnection object? or Conference object? Btw I am using lib-jitsi-meet in our custom UI.

If there is provision to override configuration while connecting I will handle logic to identify user’s region.

Will I be able to override while creating JitsiMeetJsConnection object? or Conference object?

Yes, I believe it’s the JitsiConference object:
https://github.com/jitsi/lib-jitsi-meet/blob/master/JitsiConference.js#L447

Thanks Boris for response.