Octo Cascade Bridges - here's how! FULL GUIDE

You don’t need OCTO for that. Just a single Jicofo instance

@rn1984 hello. Thank you soo much for this post.

I have some questions around octo and jitsi in general. I have deployed docker-jitsi 5076 in my server. I am successfully able to conduct meetings on it.

My questions are

1. The max number of participants recommended in a meeting is 50. ( For a good v/a experience )

2. Can a single video bridge handle multiple meetings with ~60-75 members in each meeting ?
    Example
    Meeting A - Can have 50 Participants
    Meeting B - Can have 45-50 Participants
    and so on at the same time. I don’t want to do livestreaming.

3. If I want to accommodate 800-1000 users in a single meeting, will the OCTO configuration help ? ( I know live streaming is the option, but these users can turn on their mics and cameras any time if required in the meeting )

4. Can I place the servers used in OCTO at the same geographical location ?

5. Will the OCTO configuration work in my docker environment ?

There are two things to that. OCTO is a method to split users on multiple bridges. Jicofo can already spread users based on JVB’s stress and load.

As for how many users can 1 JVB handle - well that depends on the configuration of the JVB and the bandwidth available.

Bear in mind that the endpoints should have good devices and bandwidth if you’d like that many participants on a single conference. Unless you’re using LastN which turn video of non-speakers off

@rn1984 so even if it OCTO splits users on multiple bridges, lets say 50 users on bridge 1 and 50 on bridge 2 and so on, the users from all three bridges can communicate with each other right via. a single meeting right ?

Example :

Meeting name : octotest
Total Participants : 150
Video Bridges : 3

VB 1 - 50 Users
VB 2 - 50 Users
VB 3 - 50 Users

Yep

1 Like

Wow. Thanks @damencho :smiley: I am trying the same. I cloned a PR, request you to take a look here whenever free - How to configure OCTO in docker-jitsi-meet?

Have you tried the experiment?