Number of concurrent users

Hi,

Apologies I realise this has probably been asked before, but I’ve clicked around and can’t find it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me / point me to another thread which discusses maximum number of concurrent users on jit.si? I’m a big jitsi fan and would love to use it for some broader community discussions so would be great to know if it will max out at any point!

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess this is a good start to understand the possible limitations

https://jitsi.org/jitsi-videobridge-performance-evaluation/

Also remember that along with Jibri you can broadcast to YouTube in case you have big numbers of users on a room.

Cheers!

1 Like

I suppose you are talking about meet.jit.si. There is no limit currently in number of users in a conference especially with geolocated bridges and that the system auto-scales depending the usage. Having 500 hundred in a meeting, there can be UI issues and some others, we will be working on optimizing those by the end of the year.

1 Like

Hi, yes I was, thanks a lot for sharing that update, very helpful!

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply, very appreciated!

Hi please some feedback on this configuration on how to improve or if its not possible what I am trying to archive (but I think it’s not a limitation i’m hitting here)…:
Hardware: private cloud running on Proxmox: with CPU: AMD EPYC 7252 8-Core (no load of other processes)

On a vanilla single JITSI server VM(Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS) with 2Gb and 4 cores IP4/IPv6
I ran today 48 concurrent users in a single room and people got disconnected and where not able to come in again in the meeting… The presentation died and we reschedule it…
What I’ve noticed that memory was very close to 2Gb usages… but I couldn’t find any evidence for it only the a lot of lines with:

Jicofo 2020-04-20 09:44:36.807 WARNING: [105] org.jitsi.jicofo.JvbDoctor.log() Health check failed on: jitsi-videobridge.meet. error: Component unavailable
Jicofo 2020-04-20 09:51:06.528 SEVERE: [30] org.jitsi.jicofo.discovery.DiscoveryUtil.discoverVersion().200 Failed to discover version, req: , response:

jvb.log
Sctp send error: : Resource temporarily unavailable

What I’ve improved now is:
Set 8 cores, and 8Gb of memory

• Updated jitsi-meet (debian apt-get install) to the current stable version of April 20th 2020
    jitsi-meet/stable,now 2.0.4468-1 all [installed]
    jitsi-videobridge2/stable,now 2.1-183-gdbddd169-1

• Set the values on the file:
    /etc/systemd/system.conf

[Manager]
DefaultTasksMax=65000
DefaultLimitNOFILE=65000
DefaultLimitNPROC=65000

• Set the default audio/video to muted when entering the room
  • Set authentication on so we have more control on mute and re-entering the room

Beside going to scale more video2 bridges (which I think should not be needed) any other optimisations I’ve overlooked here ? Or any recommendations please :slight_smile:

Looking at the strestest report of a couple of years ago:

I’ve seen running at least 500 simultaneous streams on the video bridge on just ‘average’ hardware… Dying at a room before the 50 mark is hit just seems to me like a human (me) error :confused:

Many thanks for any feedback or additions, highly appreciated :slight_smile:

JWR