Not out of the box experience with Jitsi desktop on Ubuntu

Hello,

I installed jitsi_2.10.5550-1_amd64.deb on my notebook running Ubuntu 20.04 and discovered it’s not starting (stalled). On the console I saw hundreds of error messages like:

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.service.customcontactactions [84](R 84.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.service.customcontactactions [84](R 84.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol) [caused by: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol [70](R 70.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol [70](R 70.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=net.java.sip.communicator.util) [caused by: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.service.util [97](R 97.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.service.util [97](R 97.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=javax.imageio)]] Unresolved requirements: [[net.java.sip.communicator.service.customcontactactions [84](R 84.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol)]
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:4111)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2117)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1371)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStartLevelImpl.java:308)
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.globaldisplaydetails [85](R 85.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.globaldisplaydetails [85](R 85.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=org.jitsi.service.configuration) [caused by: Unable to resolve org.jitsi.libjitsi [125](R 125.0): missing requirement [org.jitsi.libjitsi [125](R 125.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=com.sun.jna.ptr) [caused by: Unable to resolve com.sun.jna [88](R 88.0): missing requirement [com.sun.jna [88](R 88.0)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.4.0))]] Unresolved requirements: [[net.java.sip.communicator.globaldisplaydetails [85](R 85.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=org.jitsi.service.configuration)]
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:4111)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2117)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1371)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStartLevelImpl.java:308)
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.muc [86](R 86.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.muc [86](R 86.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol) [caused by: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol [70](R 70.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol [70](R 70.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=net.java.sip.communicator.util) [caused by: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.service.util [97](R 97.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.service.util [97](R 97.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=javax.imageio)]] Unresolved requirements: [[net.java.sip.communicator.muc [86](R 86.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol)]

Then came the idea of trying with different Java version. So I switched from java-11-openjdk-amd64 to java-8-openjdk-amd64 (via update-alternatives --set java /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/jre/bin/java). That solved the issue.

Is there a chance to get it working without having to change default java version on Ubuntu?

Thanks, jose

Looks like this is an outdated, unstable version (nightly) from 2017. :anguished: Is there a specific reason why you’re installing this one? Jitsi installations work now with the latest versions of Java - the only exception being Jibri, which still requires Java 8.

Found the link at Download | Jitsi

Ooooooh my apologies! You’re referring to Jitsi Desktop, not Jitsi Meet. :man_facepalming:t5: Jitsi Desktop is a deprecated program; it’s no longer officially supported by Jitsi. Community members keep it going by providing support to one another when they can, but this application is no longer being officially supported by the Jitsi team.

Just out of curiosity, were you looking for a sip application of a video conferencing application? Asking because it’s not unusual to confuse the two.

No problem, at least I learned about the relationship between Jitsi and Jitsi Meet. Strictly speaking anything related to Jitsi should be raised at Issues · jitsi/jitsi · GitHub, right? Actually I was now able to find the exact same problem described there: Probably wrong instruction to install jitsi from debian repository · Issue #705 · jitsi/jitsi · GitHub so I will now move the discussion there.

I am indeed looking for a SIP client as IMHO there aren’t too many options in Linux world. Linphone is quite difficult to compile, Twinkle looks fine but does not support PulseAudio (only ALSA), Zoiper works nicely but is a bit expensive and I was never able to properly configure Ring/Jami. So I am really hoping Jitsi would fill the gap.