Noob help please

Hello,

I’m new to Jitsi and would really like to understand better some of the architecture and customization options for Jitsi Meet and/or VideoBridge but have not been able to find cohesive documentation to help me wrap my head around things.

I have a Jitsi Meet server installed on AWS (super simple to get setup) and things are working dandy. Ultimately I’d like to incorporate Jitsi into my SaaS solution so now I’m wondering things like…how do I dynamically create/delete spaces via an API or customize the interface for my SaaS? Basically, what are the logical steps to start integrating this system with my existing app? Should I be using Jitsi Meet or Jitsi VideoBridge?

I thoroughly enjoy reading documentation so I’m trying to figure out where I can go to find answers to these and other questions in some type of logically laid out structure.

Thanks!

Hi @sloan58 and welcome to our community!

This is the best diagram I can think of for illustrating the Jitsi Meet architecture: https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet/blob/master/resources/docker-jitsi-meet.png

As you can see Jitsi VideoBridge is just a part of it, a very important one, but just a part. I’d recommend you drink the Jitsi Meet cool aid and target using the entire stack :wink:

So, for customizating Jitsi Meet, you have a couple of choices:

1. Restrict yourself to what we allow via configuration: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/interface_config.js

2. Go to town and start modifying the frontend source code.

Obviously the latter will involve a lot more work and require that you follow the development more closely. Which one is better for you use case is something you’ll need to decide yourself, but I’d recommend starting with vanilla Jitsi Meet + interfaceConfig.js customizations, you can always go full-custom at a later stage.

Hope that helps!

Hi @saghul. Thank you! This is very helpful. I’m guessing that my best source for Jitsi know-how is the github repo’s so I’ll start working through all the docs there to better understand the different modules and how to work with them (I’ll cruise the forum posts as well). I will take your advice and go with vanilla Jitsi Meet + interfaceConfig.js to start, which is working great so far! Thanks again.