No video device

Hi,

I have installed Jitsi Desktop on a Windows PC to see the video from my ip-doorbell. The app connects as a sip-client very well to my router and I can talk to the doorbell.
But I cannot see anything, because I cannot connect to the camera. The doorbell delivers a stream at “http://local-ip/video.mjpg”.
In the settings I find under video-camera a “no device”, but I cannot change this.

Is there a chance to connect to my camera?

Greetings

You are about Jitsi Desktop → Menu → Tools → Options → Video. Those settings are for a camera attached to your computer. With that, you could send a video to your telephony partner, from yourself.

Does your doorbell support H.264? You have to look into the Logs (Advanced → Logging → Archive Logs) with the app Wireshark, wether your doorbell offers H.264 beside your mentioned Motion JPEG (MJPG) stream. In Wireshark, filter for ‘sdp’. By the way, do you use the latest stable release (currently 2.10)?

Thanks for your answer.
The camera supports H.264 by default. I would have expected that you could enter the IP of the camera under Desktop → Menu → Tools → Options → Video. But I don’t have the possibility to do this.
As I have already written above, only “no device” appears there.

The short answer is: No.
That setting is about the local camera, for example a camera built-in or connected via USB, to your computer. You are about a remote camera, the camera in your door-bell. Even if you could use that as source, it would be displayed to your caller – in your case the one who rang your bell.

When somebody rings your bell, you get an incoming call in Jitsi Desktop. Right? Then you accept that call and talk. Right? Therefore, we have to check, why Jitsi Desktop is not able to display the (SIP-) video offered by your camera. For this, I mentioned that Wireshark approach. If you have an issues with that, please, do not hesitate to ask.

Unfortunately, you did not answer my question about which version you use. The nightly builds do not offer incoming video, because of a software bug. Therefore again, are you using Jitsi Desktop 2.10? When you do not answer questions, you make it difficult to help.

I’m very sorry I missed the version question. I installed the stable version 2.1.
A few words about my approach here:
My router (AVM Fritz!Box) serves as SIP server. Provides picture and sound to corresponding mobile phones (AVM C5). On my Android mobile phone an app runs as SIP client. The external camera of the door station provides the video signal under a URL as MPJG stream. I have to enter this URL in the app.

As a result, no video can be forwarded to non-AVM devices via my SIP server. Instead, the video URL must be entered there.

So I’m afraid that there is no solution for me.

Many thanks

The latest stable is 2.10, a two digit minor version. Just to double-check we are about the same version.

The internal SIP registrar of the FRITZ!Box does not proxy video, at least that is my current state of knowledge with FRITZ!OS 7.19. One approach would be to setup a small SIP server yourself, aside of your FRITZ!Box. By the way, which app do you use in Android? As workaround, you could bookmark the URL in your Web browser and access that while talking.

Yes, this is no different with FRITZ!OS 7.2. Maybe I’ll try Asterisk on occasion. I want to use Jitsi on the Windows desktop. Under Android the DIVUS app works quite well.

Thank you again for your help.

Another idea:
If your camera supports direct SIP-URI dialing, you might be able to ring the IP of your Jitsi Desktop.

I recommend FreeSWITCH instead. Sangoma Asterisk is great when it comes to bridging different VoIP technologies. However, when it is just SIP, FreeSWITCH is better in the SDP media negotiation. For example, even if Asterisk is not able to transcode internally, it still might create a mixture of media formats on both call legs, especially if more than two codecs are involved (like VP8, VP9, and H.264). All this does not matter to your scenario because you can limit the video codec to H.264. Anyway, when you consider Asterisk or FreeSWITCH, and your scenario is SIP-only, I recommend to have a look at FreeSWITCH.

Which app of them exactly?

Thank you again.
The app is Divus Videophone 4

How do you configure that app, or asked more precisely where do you enter the HTTP IP of your camera in DIVIUS VIDEOPHONE 4?

Under phone-settings and then phone-book choose manual config and then camera config. Maybe in english the items are other